Well pump pressure sswitches

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Bradford Jr.

Reaction score
TL: I have two Square D pressure switches controlling my submersible well pump. They are wired in series. Switch #1 (FSG2- M4 20/40) and switch #2FSG2 30on/50 off) have worked well for 15-18 years.
Problem: Now when starting pump with switch #1, pressure goes immediately to 58 psi, SW #1 opens and pressure drops rapidly to 32 after pump shuts off and then switch #2 closes and #1 closes and cycle repeats. This occurs at 2 scond intervals with pump starting and stopping. Everything worked for years until last week. HELP. Garden is drying up.

Thanks,
bobby

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Don't know why you would have 2 switches. Just turn up the M4 switch to 30/50, and it will still give you low pressure cut out. Then you don't need the second switch. The fact that it is going quickly to 58 PSI, makes me think your tank is water logged.

Robert Bradford Jr.

Reaction score
valveman:
Thanks for prompt reply. System was imstalled by father-in-law since deceased. I do not have water pressure tank in system. Any other ideas. I sort of thought two switches was redundant but I am not a plumber of any sort. If I bypass a switch it would NOT be the FSG2. (Just keep the FSG2-M4???)

Thanks again. Great Service.

Bobby

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You should not have a pressure switch without a pressure tank. Don't know how it worked for that long. Apparently you are not using as much water as before. You have to use enough water to keep the pump from being able to build to 50 PSI, or it shuts off. If you add a pressure tank, the pump will still cycle on and off, it will just be slower.

Without a pressure tank, I would do away with the pressure switches and just turn on the pump manually, or use a pump start relay from the sprinkler controller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks