Well pump only generating 25psi

Users who are viewing this thread

garberfc

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 20 year old pump installed at 265' below grade. I've never had a problem with it.

Just yesterday our pressure dropped to ~25 psi. It seems the pump is delivering all the water we desire at this pressure, but believe me, with TWO teenage daughters in the house, we need more pressure/water... :rolleyes:.

Our controller is a Square D Pumptrol 9013FSG. I see it calling for water as the contacts are in the closed position. I've identified the 2 hot leads with a volt meter and I'm seeing 240v. When I place the volt meter probes on the two wires leading out of the controller to the pump I'm also seeing 240v. I don't see any problem with the contacts. I cleaned them with alcohol. I don't see any arching indicating a poor connection. Is there a chance their just isn't enough amperage getting to the pump?

Also, for reasons unknown to me, when the well pump is running normally I can hear a low frequency hum when I'm right at the controller / well tank. Is that sound the pump and the sound is traveling up through 265' + 30' the water pipe? Well, now when I've had the breaker off and the pressure in the system exhausted and then switch the breaker back on I only hear the humming for 2 or 3 seconds, about the time it takes to bring the pressure back up to 25. The contacts on the controller never open.

All thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
F

garberfc

Reaction score
You probably have a hole in the pipe in the well.
That would really stink! That would mean having someone pull the whole system out of the ground for at least an inspection...

As I recall only the first 60' or so was cased. Do you think it's possible the earth moved and a rock pierced the poly pipe? How often does this happen. And, if this is the case, will it still be possible to pull the pump? Will I still be possible to use the well?

Any thought on why the humming noise stops?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That would really stink! That would mean having someone pull the whole system out of the ground for at least an inspection...

No need to the whole system out to inspect it. You only need to raise the pitless to the top of the casing to cap it off to test.

The leak could also be between the house and the wellhead so that portion also needs to be pressure tested.

Are there any checkvalves between the wellhead and the house? When you turn off the pump, does the pressure drop without any use of water?

garberfc

Reaction score
You probably have a hole in the pipe in the well.
I don't think this is the issue... I'm assuming the pump acts as a foot value. When I turn off the power to the pump, the pressure does NOT drop. If there were a hole in the pipe, the pressure would drop as the water leaked through the hole. Does this make sense?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The absolute best way to diagnose this is as LL said, pull the pump up out of the pitless and pressure test the pump and drop pipe. If the pump builds and holds 100 psi, then the problem is between the well and house.

garberfc

Reaction score
The absolute best way to diagnose this is as LL said, pull the pump up out of the pitless and pressure test the pump and drop pipe. If the pump builds and holds 100 psi, then the problem is between the well and house.
I'm not sure if there are check valves between where the pipe enters the basement and the pump itself. I'm trying to avoid the expense of having the pump pulled up. That's has to cost several hundred $$$ :(.

garberfc

Reaction score
You can also check the amp draw. Full load amps means a hole in the pipe somewhere.
My knowledge of electricity stops short of measuring amperage. My guess is that I'd close the amp meter clamp around the pair of hot leads going to the pump? What would I be looking for? 15-20 amps? Is it amp/hrs??

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Better to clip it around a single wire coming from the breaker or pressure switch. 3/4HP is 7 amps. 1HP is 9 amps. 1.5HP is 11.5 amps. You have to at least know the horsepower of your pump.

If you are not getting air in the lines, the hole is probably in the pipe nipple between the check valve and the pump.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you stop and consider that the submersible pump itself requires zero maintanence and in your case has supplied all the water your household needed for 20 years, spending a couple hundred dollars to properly diagnose the problem seems pretty reasonable.

Reach4

Reaction score
garberfc, are you running the pump continuously, or are you turning the switch on only when you use water?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Of course the pump is also suspect but before pulling it all the way up, lifting it 6 feet for a pressure test is a good start.

If it fails that test, it is coming out of the hole.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm just thinking all the pumps over the years I have pulled because of lack of pressure and I'd bet it out numbers the number of leakers by a whole lot.

garberfc

Reaction score
I think you're right. I just hate to admit it.

Either way it's a problem. Either a hole as I'm not seeing the pressure, or it's electrical in the motor.

Time to call the service folks.

garberfc

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help in this matter.

The drilling company came out and pulled the pipe and found the issue. The brass fitting between the pump and the hose had a hole in it. Lots of minerals in the water in my area and they ate right through the fitting.

The pump was 19.5 years old and the repair guy tells me they generally only last between 8-12 years, so I had it replaced as well. The new fitting is made of SS so should outlast me :p.

F

Reach4

Reaction score
Good deal. What can you tell us about that pump -- the opposite of name and shame.

Was that black polyethylene pipe, and did you re-use it?

garberfc

Reaction score
Good deal. What can you tell us about that pump -- the opposite of name and shame.

Was that black polyethylene pipe, and did you re-use it?
Yes, black poly pipe. Yes, reused it. They examined the pipe and the wiring and didn't see any wear or flat spots, so reused both.

The repair guy is from the same company that installed the original pump. He was surprised by the type. It was something like 'airless'? I didn't get the maker or model of the new pump (shame on me). But it's a 1/2 horse with a 3 year warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks