*Well Pump keeps shutting off (Rapidaytor) from time to time*

Users who are viewing this thread

h2osho

Reaction score
Ok here's the "scoop".

Wife and I bought a nice brick ranch with full basement, yada yada yada. Real old Pump (Rapidaytor) with a Well X Trol Pressure Tank, and I've included some pictures.

Water pressure is actually fine. BUT....BUT the pump will simply quit working about once every 2 months. I have to go downstairs, flips the breaker-box switch a few times (no it is not thrown), hit the pump motor with a hammer (kinda like Fonzie did in Happy Days), flip the breaker again, maybe more Fonzie taps and then after 15 minutes it will fire back up again and work after I fiddle-faddle with it here and there some more.

Weird as all get-out?

When we get water back it's all black and spurts and hisses and has lots of air in it, then after awhile it's fine.

We ASSUME we need a need a new pump? Is there a direct replacement I can swap in myself?

Look at the pics and see if you have an answer...I would appreciate it.

Our local water guy put in a new water softner in September but that has had no effect good or bad on the pump. Just gives us soft water..although it's still a bit "sulferey" for my nose!

Is there an easy solution....OR do we need to get out our check book and not eat for a month???

thanks in Michigan~

Attachments

• pump1.jpg
    pump1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,237
  • pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • pump3.jpg
    pump3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,176

Speedbump

Reaction score
You could put another motor on that old Rapidayton, or try to get it off and get it fixed. Rapidaytons all had coupled shafts, which means you don't have to disassemble the pump to get the motor off. I'm not saying it's easy, cause it's not, but it is possible.

By the way, your softener will not do a thing for your Michigan Sulphur. That takes a whole different system.

bob...

h2osho

Reaction score
You could put another motor on that old Rapidayton, or try to get it off and get it fixed. Rapidaytons all had coupled shafts, which means you don't have to disassemble the pump to get the motor off. I'm not saying it's easy, cause it's not, but it is possible.

By the way, your softener will not do a thing for your Michigan Sulphur. That takes a whole different system.

bob...

Is it normal for the Rapidayton tank to be "empty" and the Well XTroll to be "full". When I kick or tap on the Rapid tank it sounds hollow, tin-"ney" and empty but the Well X tank feels heavy and full. Is this where the water sits?

And where should I go to take the Rapid motor to be fixed or looked at? Or if it's too tough, do I really just bite the bullet and replace it? I'd love to find a new pump system that works better and cost less!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Any motor shop should be able to fix the motor. Taking them the whole pump may or may not be acceptable by some motor shops.

You can get a whole new pump and motor and tank if you like, but stay from the big box stores. You won't find any quality there.

You will also never be able to replace the quality of the Rapidayton with anything made today. Those days are gone. Just to give you and idea, Rapidayton was bought out by Berkley pump company back in the early eighties and for the most part done away with.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks