Well pump just bubbling, no pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisJReagan

Reaction score
Hello, I've had this irrigation pump for a couple of years and recently the pump hasn't run for a few months. (I'm remodeling the house but don't live there, so it took me a long time to notice that the grass was dying). It's a well system feeding the irrigation only. I tried to prime the pump and I open the bleeder on the filter and air comes out out, but no rotors ever pop up.

So yesterday I decided I would run the pump (after priming) and then open up the filter housing. Expecting either no water in the housing or it to over flow, neither happened. The water just bubbled like the pump was only pushing in air. I dropped a link to a video that I took. It looks like some water is coming through but not enough.

I was wondering what my solutions are. Is my well too shallow? My pump broken? (I'm not sure if I trust the installer. I had nothing to do with that.) Do I need to keep priming?

Any advice would be great. My HOA is getting on my about the lawn.

Thanks, Chris

VIDEO:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks and sounds like a "self primer" that isn't primed. The water maybe too deep to self prime. Check the depth to water in the well and adding a foot valve will also probably help.

ChrisJReagan

Reaction score
Looks and sounds like a "self primer" that isn't primed. The water maybe too deep to self prime. Check the depth to water in the well and adding a foot valve will also probably help.

Thanks for that. Is that something I can do without cutting that PVC line going into the ground?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There is a flapper check and a little recirculation hole inside a self priming pump. If the flapper is bad or the hole is clogged it can't pull a prime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks