Well Pump Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

daro

Reaction score
I just stumbled onto this site and was reading a thread from 2010 about a system similar to mine. My system in NC is a bladder tank system, supports a 6000 Sq. ft. structure with 7 baths. a commercial kitchen and three independent structures each with large jacuzzi baths.
The system I am trying to diagnose is apparently a non bladder tank system supporting a a small home with one bath and kitchen. the system was installed around 2006. this system has a Galvanized tank, and an inline check valve with a small brass stand pipe fitted with a schrader valve. The pump tank is losing pressure slowly after it fills to 60lb. PSI. There is no cap on the valve and a small continuous leak. I'm uncertain as to how this system pressurizes and what this valve is for in this location.
Questions.
Is this a simple fix and good system? It has worked well for years.
Should I change over to a bladder system tank?

Many thanks for your input?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The Schrader is where the air charge gets in. You do not want to cap it, but it shouldn't be leaking so replace it. Sounds like you have several problems. The check valve the Schrader is screwed into is probably not working, which is why the Schrader is leaking water instead of sucking air. If after fixing the leaking Schrader the pressure still leaks off, then you have a hole in the pipe or the check valve on the pump is leaking back.

There is a bleeder orifice about 5' down the well that opens when the control check with the Schrader closes. When the bleeder opens it drains the water down to that point as the air comes in the Schrader. The next time the pump comes on the 5' of pipe is full of air and gets shot into the pressure tank. Then there is and Air Volume Control (AVC) on the side of the tank that lets out the excess air.

A bladder or diaphragm tank does away with the above ground check valve, Schrader, bleeder, and AVC, which are known to give problems on a regular basis. If you have iron or sulfur in the water the air injector system is needed to aerate the water and take out the rotten egg smell. If you do not have iron or sulfur, a diaphragm is better and doesn't require that kind of maintenance.

A lot of people complain that the bladder or diaphragm doesn't last very long. That is because they do not have a Cycle Stop Valve that keeps the pump from continually cycling on and off, which is what destroys the diaphragm and shortens the life of the pump.

Your system is NC certainly needs a Cycle Stop Valve with all the things you have going on there. The CSV would make the pump last longer and deliver a stronger constant pressure than when the pump is cycling on and off.

Here is a link to a stick on tank maintenance. https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/pressure-tank-maintenance.20849/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks