Well Pump Intermittent

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeepnjeff

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. We started getting a small amount of air coming out of the faucets a few days ago, particularly in the morning. Now for the past few days when we are using water for an extended period of time (showers, laundry) the water will completely stop and then start back up after anywhere from 10-45 seconds. We also still have some very minor occasional air in the system too. The pump is working intermittently even when it is getting power. The weather has been cold here in CT so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it.

We have a submersible well pump and a 20 gallon tank with a bladder. The well and pump are 2006 vintage, the well is 285'. I initially thought the Square D pressure switch was shot or clogged but it seemed to be functioning.

To eliminate some variables I bypassed the water softener and I put in a new 30/50 psi pressure switch and gauge. I also adjusted the air in the tank bladder down to 28.5 psi. It has been at 38psi for a few years since someone else replaced the tank. No difference in the symptoms.

I got my hands on a good clamp on amp meter. The pump turns on and runs for about 30 seconds. It starts at about 17-18 amps and settles in around 14 amps running. Then the pump turns off and draws zero amps for ~1 minute (although the pressure switch is still calling for water and sending juice to the pump). The pump will then turn back on and run for ~10-11 seconds and then off. It does this until it gets up to 50 psi. It is getting 230v+ the entire time. Do you guys have any ideas? Thank you

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a control box that might be shutting down the pump when the water runs out? To check for that, you might monitor the current to the pump in the seconds before it shuts off early. If you see a current reduction before the shut-off, the protector may be doing its job. I wonder if there is an adjustment to increase the off-time to allow for more recovery.

Are you in an area where some wells have run dry?

Jeepnjeff

Reaction score
No control box that I can see. It is a 2 wire pump. I don't think any wells have run dry in my area. It was at 9 gallons per minute when drilled in 2006 and recovery was tested by a home inspector in 2011 with no drop in quantity over a 45 minute test. Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think you have two issues to fix. Air in the lines is probably due to a leak in the pipe and a topside checkvalve. Get rid of the checkvalve and fix the leak.

The pump shutting off is probably from thermal overload. It most likely needs to be replaced.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does the current drop before the shutoff, or does the current just go from 14 amps to zero suddenly?

Reach4

Reaction score
That means LLigetfa matches the symptoms better. It is not clear why the pump could would overheat while pumping. I guess that means the flow would be low or the temperature limit switch is a a little too sensitive.

You have a 20 gallon pressure tank with probably a 5 or 6 gallon drawdown. That seems fairly small. How long does it take to fill when the pump does not shut off early?

14 running amps seems high for a 1.5 HP motor. Do you know something about the pump ratings?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Depending on where in Ct you are, you most likely have either a 1/2-5 or a 3/4-7 in your well that is giving up the ghost.

If you are in western Ct and can get through until Saturday, my son and I can fix your problem. If you can't wait or are in eastern Ct I can reccomend someone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks