Well pump for irrigating 1 acrea yard

Users who are viewing this thread

jk76

Reaction score
Not sure to post here or over in irrigation.
I have resurrected an old water well on the property, the well is 4 inch steel casing. Water starts about 27 feet down and I hit bottom at 62 feet. I pulled the old pump to inspect it and it's a sta rite 1/2hp 10p??? with 1inch black plastic pipe. The pump looks good and the screen was clean I reinstalled the pump about 10 feet off the bottom. I disconnected the discharge hose from the casing and installed another one to discharge the water about 20 feet away. Started the pump up thinking that I would pump the well clean. The first 10min the water was brown to orange for the remaining hour the water was clear after an hour I gave up trying to pump the well dry. During that time I filled a 5gallon bucket took 20sec so 15gpm not sure at what psi.

I want to use the well for outside watering needs. That will include irrigating the lawn and running a few hose bibs is this set okay or do I need to install a larger pump?

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
It sounds like you're OK however to prevent deadheading the pump and burning it out I suggest that you install a pressure switch and tank. This will give you an automatic system. Turn the water on and the pump starts. Turn the water off and the pump will shut off shortly. Better yet install a Pside-Kick! it's a package that contains everything you will need including a small tank. It will give you constant pressure and prevent the pump from cycling.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If its JUST a set number of heads, raising the cut off pressure to where it runs constantly while irrigating would work, along with a relief valve set to near that pressure. Without a tank your hose bibs will be a problem.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If it weren't for the hose bibs, I would say to just put a ballvalve on the output to regulate the flow to the sprinklers and turn the pump on and off with a simple switch, no tank. However, with the hose bibs, I would use a pressure switch and a Pside-Kick as Porky suggests.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
He could buy a tiny tank for 50 bucks and set the shut off high to keep the pump on when the sprinklers are running. If the bib use is small, and not primary, he would save a few hundred bucks.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
If the hose leaks that long, the csv will run the pump all month. Couple months of that and youve got a new pump too in cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks