Well pump for 500 gal. collection tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Frank lammers

Reaction score
I have been asking about using a shallow well pump for 1" line in past forums and a few post said it would be easier to push water from a tank then to pull water through 100 ft. 1" line w/ shallow well pump into pressure tank. Can I use a submersible well pump in my 500 gal. Gravity fed tank to pump water to my house to fill pressure tank.

Frank lammers

Reaction score
So where did you come up with that?

How were you planning to run the pipe out of the tank?
Tank has 1" pvc running through bottom of tank 4' under ground 100' to house with head of 12' high approx. 5 psi head pressure. I woke up last night thinking maybe I could a pump that people use in lakes for their lake front home. Just trying to find best solution for getting water to home and filling pressure tank. Shallow well, sumersible?

Reach4

Reaction score
In that case you would not have to go over the top. An advantage to over the top is that you don't have to climb in to put the pump in place.

Look up flow inducer sleeve. You will want your 4 inch pump in a 4 inch PVC sleeve to improve cooling. Thin drain pipe is good for the purpose.

Most submersible well pumps are rated to tilt to horizontal, but not more.

A 1/2 HP 10 gpm pump would be appropriate for a house.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you attach a submersible to the discharge at the bottom of the tank, you will have to drain the tank and climb in to connect or disconnect the pump. You can still lay the pump on it's side at the bottom of the tank (shroud recommended), but the pipe can come up over the top of the tank and back down to the underground line. That way if you need to remove the pump, you can lift it out the top of the tank without having to drain or get inside the tank. You will need to run the wire through a hole in the top of the tank, you can do the pipe the same way.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think Frank's concern is with freezing. I wonder if Frank could mount a pitless at the bottom of the tank once, and be able to lift and set the pump down from the top later for maintenance . Sounds like some kind of custom support would be needed.

Or suppose the pump could be on a flex line of some sort that could be fished up (with the pump off) for maintenance and allowed to settle down for normal use.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The flex line is a good idea. I doubt that a pitless would work as a tank adapter. The curve on a pitless is to fit 4"-6" casing and the big tank would not have that much curve. It might work with an extra thick rubber seal.

Reach4

Reaction score
The flex line is a good idea. I doubt that a pitless would work as a tank adapter. The curve on a pitless is to fit 4"-6" casing and the big tank would not have that much curve. It might work with an extra thick rubber seal.
I was picturing a custom fixture sitting on the bottom that mounted the pitless and had a cradle for the sleeve. I was thinking the pitless would be piped to the existing 1 inch penetration. This may not be so practical.

Imagine this: take two pieces of 5 inch PVC schedule 40 PVC. Glue them to an elbow. Glue feet etc to the bottom of the horizontal to keep the vertical pipe upright and extending out of the water. Then cut away maybe 40% of pipes and elbow to accept the flow inducer shroud to be cradled on the bottom and clear the pump+fittings. Put in a pitless through the vertical PVC and connect the pump to the pitless via an elbow to make the pump horizontal. The flex line seems simpler, cheaper, and has less chance of some problem.

Last edited:

Frank lammers

Reaction score
Okay Guys, Im thinking of flex line to 1" sopply line and pump with pump sitting in cradle horizontally . How far of bottoman should it be.
Are there any 1/2hp 10 per min. Pumps w/ 1" outlets.

Reach4

Reaction score
Okay Guys, Im thinking of flex line to 1" sopply line and pump with pump sitting in cradle horizontally . How far of bottoman should it be.
Are there any 1/2hp 10 per min. Pumps w/ 1" outlets.
Grundfos 5S and 7S pumps (5 and 7 GPM) have 1 inch NPT outlets. I presume there are many others. Grundfos 10S has 1-1/4 outlets.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It doesn't matter what size outlet the pump has. Just use a 1 1/4 X 1 bushing if needed. The pump in the picture below needs a shroud, but this is a good way to install it.

Horizontal Bracket for Sub.jpg

Frank lammers

Reaction score
Do you know where J can purchase 1" stainless flex hose to attach to well pump for service in long lengths ; or do I have to connect a bunch of 24" hose

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking polyethelene or PEX-A or other flexible plastic, but http://falconstainless.com/product/1-i-d-residentialcommericial-softenerboiler-connector/ has 48 inch available.

I don't know what the best choice would be. A hose should be NSF-61 rated for drinking water, which this is: http://www.newageindustries.com/NSF-clear-pvc-hose.asp That is probably nicely flexible.

I have no relevant experience.

Edit: I had messaged this, but decided to incorporate into the thread:
https://www.hosecraftusa.com/model/PT1_PVC_Braid_Reinforced_Hose has a $100 minimum order, plus shipping. But they can attach connectors and cut to length for you.

Is 125 pressure rating enough? I am not sure. Do you have to add margin? See what the deadhead pressure of your pump is, and maybe consider adding a relief valve.

I don't know if http://www.nelcoproducts.com/nylobrade-braided-hose would offer shorter hose or maybe pre-made hose with connections. They may sell by the foot, and may not. Cannot tell.

Also see http://www.stiflow.com/hose_PVC_yarn.htm

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks