Well Pump and Water Pressure Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

AlexB77

Reaction score
My 1/2 hp 10 gpm submersible well pump went out after 20 years and I had to replace it. I installed a new Redjacket 1 hp wioth a 20 gpm. After 2-3 weeks this pump failed, basically locked up. I returned the pump and it failed a 2nd time within 2-3 weeks.

I had the wiring and pressure tank checked/recharged then the pressure switch(replaced). I installed another new 1/2 hp 10 gpm pump and now that is having problems after 3-4 weeks. I turn the water on and have no pressure. Wait and hour and then I have water??? I assume that this pump is failing as well????

The well is 140 ft deep. I had a well technician perform all the work and he says the well does have water in it sufficient to satisfy my needs.

So I am baffled to say the least. Is there anyone that can give me some explanation of what is going on if possible. I want to have my information handy when I call another well company because I am not sure if I am getting the correct information.

Thank you in advance.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Believe it or not, some ½ HP 10 GPM pumps can build more pressure than some 1 HP 20 GPM pumps. If the water level in the well is 130' or so, the 1 HP may only be able to build 52 PSI. If your pressure switch is set at 40/60, the pump just can't build enough pressure to shut itself off. This will cause the impellers to melt together or the motor to get hot and destroy the pump. Depending on which pump you have and how deep it is to water, it may not even be able to build 50 PSI and shut off. Turn your pressure switch down to 20/40 and see if it can shut off. If that is the case, you just need a pump that can build more pressure like a 1 HP 15 GPM pump.

AlexB77

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman!

I have a 30/50 swith now. Would you suggest reducing the pressure in th epressure tank to 28 psi and then adjusting the swith to see if it shuts off the pump??

Or would is be better to install a new 20/40 pressure switch and make sure the pressure tank is set at 18 psi and adjust the well pressure switch to see if the pump cuts off??

Do you think I would have enough pressure with my first scenario?? I belieive that is what my 1st pump was set at. Right now I have 38 PSI in the tank and the pressure gauge sticks at 38 PSI when ther eis pressure.

I want to address this quickly as I don't want to impact the pump any further.

Thanks again!!!

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm surprised that if your having a pump/well man doing this work; they didn't see this as a problem right off the bat.

As many pumps as I have set, I have never had two of them bad out of the box in a row. This would be a very rare situation. However I have had many pumps and motors returned to me by so called pro's that had nothing wrong with them. The installer simply didn't know what he/she was doing.

We have a bazillion Irrigation contractors in Florida (as you can imagine) who after a few months in the business magically become pump men. This is where the problems begin. Make sure your pump guy knows what he is doing and has the experience to do the work.

bob...l

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If your water level is deeper than 130', that pump may not be able to build 50 PSI. I would stay at 20/40 with 18 in the tank or get a higher pressure pump.

Wondering

Reaction score
If you have a 30/50 switch on your pump now but you say you have 38 psi of air in the tank you have too much air. You need to adjust that to 28psi for the 30/50 switch.

If you are going to try the 20/40 with the 18psi in the tank you don't have to buy a new pressure switch(I don't think). I believe they are adjustable enough for you to adjust down to 20/40 without having to change out the switch.
That way if you ever want to change back to 30/50 you can with the same switch.

AlexB77

Reaction score
Still having problems

I set th epressure tank down to 28 psi and then "tried" to adjust the pressure switch. when I say "tried", I turned the nut to lower the start pressure and then tried to adjust the "kick-off" pressure. It basically held at 28 psi when I turned the pump back on.

My daughter took a shower this morning and it was fine. Then I ran the water to do dishes for 30 minutes or so and it just cut off.

do you think there is an issue with the pressure switch and I shold replace it? I do not want to destroy another pump and have to pull and replace it.

this is very strange to me becaus emy old pump ran for 20 years with NO problems. I still have the original invoice for its installation.

Thank you again for your:) help!!

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
if possible i would messure the depth to water in the well. It sounds like the well might be running low and the pump is taking out more water than the well can produce.

Sammy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks