Well Pressurization pump causes oscillations in home plumping system

Users who are viewing this thread

Desert Fred

Reaction score
I have lived in my current rural home for about 20 years. I have a well with two 80 gal surface pressure tanks and a 2000 gallon reservoir. The well and all tanks are located about 100 yards from the home with a 1.5 inch underground supply line to the house. It is a two floor home with two baths. My problem is this. When the pressurization pump (i.e. the one the pressurizes the system between 30 and 50 psi) is running certain pipes in the walls of the house vibrate or hum. When the pump turns off the noise stops. During the noise if I run any water facet in the house the noise stops. When I turn off a facet the noise usually doesn't came back until the next cycle. Another interesting fact is that I hardly ever hear the noise during the day, only at night. This might be a temperature effect. I have checked the pump and it appears to be running normally and is pressurizing the system just fine. It seems to me it is some sort of resonant feedback from the well pump to the home plumbing. Has anybody every heard of this and does anyone have any suggestions to stop it. I am going to try to brace the pipes around the pump and see if that helps. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The bearings in the booster pump could be going out. You can also use a short piece of flexible pipe or rubber hose between the pump and the rigid pipe.

Desert Fred

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I considered this and it might be the cause. The pump is about two years old. The first one lasted 18 years. Of course I could have a bad pump. Its weird how it does only under certain environmental conditions. I will look at the installation and see if a flexible pipe is a good idea. That would isolate the pump nicely. Good idea and thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks