Well pressure switch or pressure tank not working??

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarrod318

Reaction score
My water stopped flowing today. I checked fuses and they are ok. The well is in a pit with the pressure tank. The first issue I notice is that I can manually turn the pressure switch on and the pump starts, but the pump turns off after awhile and the switch doesn't open. The pressure tank which is only 3 years old is not pressurizing. I got the water running again but no pressure in the tank even though I have water in the house. This happened earlier today and I was able to get it running for now but I assume that it is just the hot water tank that is full....for now. So, could it be the pressure switch or maybe the pressure tank is frozen since it is VeRY cold in IL today. I have had a heat lamp in the pit facing the pressure tank and switch. Any thoughts???

Reach4

Reaction score
How do you know the pressure tank is not pressurizing? Did you turn off the power to the pump, and lose pressure immediately?

The thing that would be frozen may be the pipe to the pressure switch.

Good move on the heat lamp. The heat helps, but if its frozen, you need to apply that heat for a time. So keep going. You could also switch to a little heater if the bulb fails. Try to insulate from above. Packing material, or bales of hay would be good.

How big and how deep is your pit?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What commonly happens when the pressure switch inlet freezes is that the pump will run until it cooks or, with plastic pipe, it falls off the pipe when it gets hot.

The pump is the only thing in a well system that actually makes pressure in the tank and the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks