well not starting

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Ellis, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

My well will not start,it just makes a humming sound.It is a submersible pump with a Square D pressure switch and a Franklin Electric QD control box.I have changed out the Square D pressure switch,but still no go.Is there a way to check the Franklin Electric QD control to tell if that is what is bad?Any troubleshooting help would be appreciated thanks for your time.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

You can see how to check that box on the Franklin Electric web site in their AIM manual. But I would just replace it. Stick on a new box and if the pump still won't run, you probably need a new motor. That is as long as you have 240V going to the motor to start with, which I would check first.
  3. Ellis

Ellis New Member

Yes I do have 240 volts going to it.Thanks for the reply and info.
  4. craigpump

craigpump Active Member

It's not uncommon for the control box to go bad and hear a hum when the pump tries to start.
  5. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

You should be able to buy a franklin box at lowe's/HD for about $70-80 (haven't priced them lately).

Good luck!!