Well Newbie - Need some advice

Users who are viewing this thread

ljvanbo

Reaction score
I have an old home that currently has a well and only have tubing and wires coming in through the basement wall. I connected 220 to the pump and it runs for about 5 seconds then shuts off - it will then continue to cycle on/off on a pretty regular cycle. I have 2 plastic lines coming into the house along with the conduit holding the wires. I was told by a neighbor that the pump will cycle on/off if there is no back pressure - not sure if that is true or not. I purchased a holding tank and have been looking for a diagram that outlines how to set up a well water system and have not been able to find one. Can anyone explain to me how the system functions and how to properly set it up or does anyone konw of a website that I can go to to get the details.
Thanks
Lee

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
ljvanbo said:
I connected 220 to the pump ...

Are you sure it is a 220 pump? It could be 110.

ljvanbo said:
... it runs for about 5 seconds then shuts off - it will then continue to cycle on/off on a pretty regular cycle.

That *could* be caused by a temperature limit switch if you have 220 going into a 110 pump.

ljvanbo said:
I was told by a neighbor that the pump will cycle on/off if there is no back pressure - not sure if that is true or not.

There is usually an integral check valve on the top of the pump to hold pressure in the line after the pump has stopped.

ljvanbo said:
I purchased a holding tank and have been looking for a diagram that outlines how to set up a well water system and have not been able to find one. Can anyone explain to me how the system functions and how to properly set it up or does anyone konw of a website that I can go to to get the details.

The pump guys here can give you fine details, but the output of the pump simply goes to the tank, and with the pressure switch near the tank and between the pump and tank.

pump & check valve -> switch in tee near tank -> house

Speedbump

Reaction score
Just hooking 230 volts to wires that you have no idea whats on the other end of them isn't a very good idea.

I'm not sure why you have a total of three pipes coming into the basement with one of them being the wire conduit. What's the third wire for? Does water come out of either of these pipes when you put the voltage to the pump? Do you know where the well is, so you can look at it? Or is it buried?

You may do better to hire a well/pump man to do this if you don't know anything about it.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks