Well Mate Problems - Low Pressure

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Crowphonic, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Crowphonic

Crowphonic New Member

I hope someone can help! We have a Well Mate Pressure Tank. No problems to date and then this morning we have uber low pressure. I have tried moving the reset lever to introduce more pressure but it didn't work. Am I looking at a reset lever issue or something more substantial. I apologise in advance if my terminology is incorrect - I don't have much of a clue!
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a submersible pump or an above ground jet pump?
  3. Crowphonic

Crowphonic New Member

A submersible. I am thinking it may be the pressure switch - I tested it with a volt tester and one side showed a charge and the other did not. Is this likely to be the issue?
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Is it a 120V or 240V circuit?
  5. Crowphonic

Crowphonic New Member

I honestly don't know - though would guess at it being a 240v
  6. LLigetfa

Then you need to trace back to the breaker panel and see if it is 240V and if so see if both legs are hot. It could be a bad breaker.
  7. Crowphonic

Crowphonic New Member

OK - I will have my husband check it out tonight. Thank you!
  8. Crowphonic

Crowphonic New Member

If it was only a 120v - would only one side be live anyway?
  9. LLigetfa

On a 120V circuit, one side is hot and the other is neutral so yes, only one side would be "live".
  10. Crowphonic

Crowphonic New Member

Okay, so we had an electrician friend come over to test the voltage - he thought it was the switch control capacitor - so we went and got a new one. Installed it, moved the reset to prime and it blew up. Why? I am assuming the last one blew up as well - why are they blowing up?