Well Filtering Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

P Kelly

Reaction score
I'm planning on installing a new filtering system and am in need of some advice on how best to proceed. Few specifics on my situation:
  • Water source is from a well shared with 4 other properties, not sure the depth
  • This is a weekend place so I'm not usually there M-F
  • Intense rotten egg sulfur smell
  • Little to no limestone in my area so raw water is pretty soft
  • Northern Catskills NY location
Independent lab results:

0DPNYt7.png

I’ve currently got an inline 30 micron particulate filter and a 2.5” x 20” KDF 85 cartridge after that which I get about 6 weeks out of before the rotten egg smell returns, preceding particulate filter turns completely black after about 2 weeks of moderate water usage. Drinking water in the kitchen goes through a secondary 10” x 2.5” under sink arsenic filter, then a .5 micron particulate filter which seems to have been effective in capturing both arsenic III and V in subsequent tests after installation.

I’m way uphill from the well head so I’m installing a new 3/4 hp pump, switch and CSV to boost the pressure a bit as it’s currently pretty low. My new plan is to install a 50 micron spin-down then a larger 4.5” x 20” 30 micron particulate filter after that. I’ve looked at some whole house KDF 85/Catalytic Carbon filters but am somewhat concerned about extensive backwashing cycles as the adjacent drain line is grey water only and goes out onto the front lawn. Seems like thousands of gallons per year that I’d rather not have wind up in my neighbor’s basement down the hill from me.

Any suggestions on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated, the hydrogen sulfide smell is really unpleasant.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Are you able to do a real H2S test? Assuming yo have the problem, what about the 4 other houses?

When it comes to H2s, there are several treatment methods. Long term, treating all 4 houses would make more sense. A simple h2o2 injection system if the levels are high (5 ppm or higher). Lower levels and a large atmospheric storage tank, you may be able to go with a simple ozone generator in the main storage tank and some simple filtration afterwards.

A whole house catalytic carbon is effective for very low levels of H2S, and even the addition of KDF85 is certainly not a bad idea but this media really needs to be separated. We have developed a KDF cube system that eliminates the excessive backwash rates that KDF requires. Since you also have iron and manganese, maybe a KDF85 and Katalox Light. Chemical injection could be added later if needed. Again, this really depends a lot on the amount of H2S. Your high pH will allow for an easier removal of the iron and manganese with the KL. Since there are so many variables with water, it is really hard to say even with a comprehensive water report. Local water treatment guys have usually spent anough time treating your water to know exactly what process works efficiently and with the least maintenance.

If you don't mind throwing a few items at it, or adding some more treatment later if needed, then you can definitely tackle this water problem.

Here isan example of one possible water treatment option.
Hybrid-KDF85-Katalox-Light.jpg

P Kelly

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful response. The lab I'd used previously didn't include H2S as an option so I should probably look for a different one that does. I've yet to actually meet two of the other three property owners as they're rarely around, the one neighbor I do know lives there full-time and says his water doesn't smell at all however, he is 85 and I think hard of smelling or something. I did try his and it's the same as mine. Also, my water heater is a brand new tankless system so definitely not an anode rod issue.

Any idea the cost range for a for the aforementioned h2o2 injection system or ozone generator? As above, I don't have any contact info for the other property owners so I'd likely have to pay for any upgrades done by the well company on my own.

The house is in a somewhat thinly populated location in Northern Catskills so there aren't a whole lot of options for local treatment companies. Bit of a DIY type install as with most things around my place.

Feel free to PM me with a proposal for the KDF85 / Katalox Light system described above. The flow rate of my pump is aroound 7-8gpm at 40psi.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A carbon block filter would not be recommended in most applications due to its high maintenance cost and very low capacity. As to the ozone, it can be very effective but it really depends on how your system is designed. A traditional Pump/pressure tank/pressure switch design is not typically well suited to ozonation due to the excessive costs. An atmospheric tank is well suited to ozonation since these units are fairly cheap, reliable, and easy to maintain.

AnthM

Reaction score
As I can say from my own experience, ozone generators take away any smell and also disinfect the place. So, you should try it! As for me I've never had an air purifier before and didn't even know what I was missing. I even didn't know of its ability to take the odor away until I've read it here https://www.damagecontrol-911.com/guide-to-removing-odors-with-ozone-generators/. You should check it out and maybe you'll find something new for yourself.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks