Weird toilet water shut off valve - Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter David

Reaction score
Hi all, glad I found this forum!

I'm a relatively newbie at DIY so I'm hoping you all can help me.
I've been replacing the toilets in my house and two of them have weird shut off valves.
I don't have the foggiest idea how to turn the water off, maybe somebody here does.

The house was built in 1989, if that helps.

There is a rubber cover of some kind, possibly what you're supposed to use to crank the water off, but they only turn less than a quarter-turn either way.

20130801_175241.jpg

20130803_155044.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

Peter David

Reaction score
They are 1/4 turn valves, but if a 1/4 turn clockwise does not shut the water off, then the valve is broken and you need new ones.

Yeah pretty sure they're frozen with age. What a PITA.

Thanks for the answer though, now I know what I'm up against.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
1/4 turn valves are quite dependable, but unless it looks fairly new we normally replace the shut-off valve as part of a toilet replacement. With a threaded-on valve like yours, it should be very straightforward.

When shopping for new valves, avoid those which have a plastic stem. The good valves will be all metal.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks