Weird -- flapper misses hole

Users who are viewing this thread

sharding

Reaction score
We've started having a weird problem with the toilet in our powder room. It's a Briggs that was here when we bought the house, and I think it's probably original (ca. 1988). Not sure if the innards are original.

The problem that's recently developed is that the flapper will come down slightly off-center from the hole, catch on the edge, and not seal. So the toilet will continue running forever (or until someone jiggles the handle and makes the flapper seat properly). The chain isn't getting tangled or anything, the flapper just isn't always landing right.

Do I just need to replace the flapper (I'm guessing I might as well just replace everything in the tank if I'm going to do that), or is there some easy fix I can do?

(Yes, I should probably replace the whole toilet, but we're in the midst of a major master bath remodel right now, and I'd rather keep the powder room toilet working a bit longer).

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some flappers come with a ring that slides over the overflow tube, and they also often have loops that will fit over tabs on the overflow. If you have tabs, DO NOT use the ring...cut it out and only use the tabs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks