Weil mclain boiler not lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Shluffer

Reaction score
I have a weil mclain gold boiler (hydronic heat). The boiler cycles on with the thermostat but it does not light. I loosened the bleeder valve to confirm that oil was flowing and it is. This is the first time I started it up for the year. It was working at the end of last year. Anything I can check before I call the service guy? I won't be able to get him here until Monday and its cold. Any help would be appreciated.

Shluffer

Reaction score
Yes. Only once. I have convinced myself that it is either the igniter or nozzle. I pulled the nozzle out. I would prefer to replace it, but nothing is open over the weekend so I am going to try and clean it. I tried to blow through it but can't. I'm told that means it is clogged, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Shluffer

Reaction score
I cleaned it out and put it back together. The boiler still doesn't light. I figure there are only three possibilities left as to what can be wrong with it. Either the tip is still clogged, the solenoid isn't opening the valve to let oil through, or the igniter is done. I figure I should first get myself a new tip, and if that doesn't work, replace the igniter. Any thoughts?

Shluffer

Reaction score
I'll buy one and replace it. is there a way to test an igniter? I would like to know if I have an issue with it so that I can try and fix it tomorrow.

Shluffer

Reaction score
I purchased the new one and will install it tonight. If there is atomized oil in the boiler (there shouldn't be if it was clogged, and if it wasn't it won't light), how long would it take for it to settle / clear? My boiler guy said to light it and shut it off to let it burn out. I prefer to be overcautious. Is his advice good?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks