Weil McClain cga6pidn boiler

Users who are viewing this thread

Cpeters

In the Trades
Reaction score
I installed one in my house last summer. 2700 sf house, 2 zone. Had an old burnam oil boiler converted to gas. Biggest concern is
the chimney and whether or not it is lined. Works like a champ, I have it set to 180 -160. My only issue is the low temp is
built in at 20 degrees when calling for heat, otherwise no pilot. Costs around $1,4oo to buy and a few hundred for parts.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this boiler when it's piped correctly and installed by a reputable hydronic heating company, not just any plumbing company because it's contains pipe nor hvac company because it's a heating system.
I have installed many of these boilers and repiped incorrectly installed system.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
At 146,000 BTU/hr of DOE output, that boiler is more than 3x oversized for an average older house in IL, and more than 4x oversized for a 2500' new code minimum house. At 3x oversizing it takes more than a 10% hit in as-used AFUE compared to it's published & tested AFUE, and that's assuming it's not short-cycling.

Do you even have enough radiation to DELIVER 146,000 BTU/hr into the house? (That would take about 300 running feet of typical fin-tube baseboard.) If y0u don't have sufficient radiation on each zone to deliver more than 3/4 the output it's going to short cycle enough to impact efficiency. If the radiation can't deliver more than a quarter of the output, it can effect longevity.

If this is a replacement boiler, size the boiler correctly for the space heating load. If you have a heating history on this place, run a fuel-use based heat load calculation to frame the magnitude of actual heat load, and don't oversize by more than 1.4x.

In the past it was common to ridiculously oversize boilers with internal tankless coils for domestic hot water to be able to deliver reasonable hot water performance. That is lousy strategy even at record-low natural gas pricing. You get much better hot water performance out of an indirect water heater as a seperate zone using a boiler right-sized for the space heating load, giving priority to the water heater zone, which interrupts calls for heat from the space heating zone any time the tank is calling for heat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks