Weed control

Users who are viewing this thread

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
My region has gone green, outlawing all pesticides.
Which i don't have a problem with, but i'm trying to find something that will control weeds.
I have a partition between myself and my neigbour (who does nothing) and i've already removed the stones, liner and dug up the roots but every year they keep coming back.
I used to use "Round up" and it worked great but now i can get that anymore.
I used "Eco-sense" from the big box store and nothing and also used vineger/water and then straight vineger but also nothing.

Any ideas?
n554780643_87812_3910.jpg

Cookie

Reaction score
It is so funny you should bring this up, for I haven't used pesticides ever, I would just pull them out and I tried the home remedies and I never found them to work. But, just recently, I was overwhelmed by so many weeds. Some flowers are really weeds but you wouldn't know it, really. I go back and forth lately, with the weed problem. I left the side go, and I got some really pretty buttercups a huge patch of them, really nice. I left them. Then, I got a huge patch almost the whole side of clover and it brought so many bunnies I loved it. So, I leave that, too.

But, the front the weeds were getting really bad between the bricks and the walk, so for the first time really, in my life I bought a pesticide spray and I sprayed it. My son got upset with me but, I had a mask on...

Peter, is that yours? In that picture? It is really pretty. So, in essence I have no advice, :)

Peanut9199

Reaction score
Yes that's mine, try to change the flowers every year.
I will be ripping it up next weekend and trying cloth then a layer of newspaper (heard that may work) and then another layer of cloth and see if that works.
I was going to do it this weekend but it's been raining since Thursday (really hard) and next weekend is a long weekend for us, so i hope it's nice.

We had really bad dandelions this year (probably because we've gone green) but luckily i have been able to keep them away.

Cookie

Reaction score
I never minded the Dandelions, we called them Peed the Beds as kids here, and I remember making my mom a Peed the bed bouquet complete with the ants which lived in them.

I did use the weed guard, the black stuff that you stretch out over the grounds? I had limited success with that, too. But, yours looks pretty good, really.

We have been having lots of rain here too and it makes everything grow like crazy. I have always struggled trying to keep it all up since my husband died, but I have learned to accept I can't do it all. My grounds here had a professional landscaper before we bought it and it is just lovely, so, I feel alittle guilty sometimes in that I can't keep everything just the way it was. There's so many flowers planted here which I don't even know the name to.

I think I have just learned to appreciate even having the weeds. (the avatar here is the World's most complicated Crop Circle, located in Britain.) pretty cool don't you think? How is your mother doing?

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Reaction score
She is doing well, she is now complaining she's gaining too much weight.
She is still trying to get off the Prednisone and is down to 10mg a day hopefully we can get her of that crap.

She had a infection (UTI) last week and a Doctor (not our normal one) gave her a Sulfa based antibiotic, which brought on a Lupus flare.

She woke me up at 2:30am with chills, which reminded us of the shakes she had last year which scared the heck out of us.
It took me a couple of minutes to explain to her this was not the same and
it took 4-5 days to get over the flare.

She has an appointment today with her Doctor and is going to complain about the other doctor.

We were looking at pictures of her yesterday and she couldn't believe she looked that bad.

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know much about Lupus, my aunt had suffered with it but she passed away from something very different and we never talked much about it. She was one of those people who believed it was a state secret when you got ill, which is sad, because I could had learned about Lupus off of her, but sadly, I never did, so I can't offer anything so far as Lupus.

But, steroids I know about. :) Oh, if you could hear my evil laugh when I typed that. They sound like they are weaning her off of it, which is good and the only way to do it. I was on it for a very long time because it was the only thing which kept my counts stabilized. They have side effects which can be awful, chills for me was one, infection was another, and mood swings. I was married at the time, and lucky he never divorced me. But, they do work they are so effective and fix what ails you. Oh, weight gain? OH YEAH. Big time. I got pictures that when I put them side by side they are hilarious. I once weighed 88 pounds, then, my normal 120 then, gained 60! Then, back down to normal weight, then underweight, lol, so, it is tough. I run into people and they don't know what to think, and personally, I could care less, it is funny. I got all these different sizes of clothes. Tell her from me, not to worry.

If not happy with the doctor, surely, complain. You got one life, do it right. The heck with what people say.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yep, just kill the people, lol. but who is going to be alive to eat the crops? :p

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I worked with a guy who he and his brother used to spray their grandfathers orchard with DDT...when it got real hot they would spray each other with it to cool off...they both passed away in their 30s....

Peanut9199

Reaction score
Did they outlaw it for the farmers...companys have developed seeds that are not affected by round up so they can spray fields and not kill the crop ...and get a larger yeild / hecter...

No they word it as "Cosmetic pesticides ban"

The ban prohibits the sale and use of pesticides for cosmetic purposes on
lawns, gardens, parks and school yards, and includes many herbicides,
fungicides and insecticides. Over 250 products will be banned for sale and
more than 80 pesticide ingredients will be banned for cosmetic uses.
There are exceptions for public health or safety reasons such as fighting
West Nile Virus, killing stinging insects like wasps, or controlling poison
ivy and other plants poisonous to the touch. Other exceptions include
agriculture and forestry.

Cookie

Reaction score
I like that Peter, that is a very respectful ban. It makes so much sense, you got to wonder why it isn't done all over and wasn't done a long time, ago. Especially where children are at. Very very sensible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks