We dislike our sunken "Roman" tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Porter

Reaction score
Hi,
(Sorry, if I use the words "cement" and "concrete" interchangeably. I don't know the difference.)

We have a tiled, cement sunken tub in our bathroom that takes a long time to fill up. We run out of hot water before it fills. The tile is not comfortable to sit/lie on.

So, one idea is to put a soaking tub into it. However, a plumber we talked to says that to attach to the drain, he'd have to remove the old drain, that it's likely/possible that the old drain and pipes are going through solid concrete wall about 2 feet thick. So, he says, the labor cost would be insane.

Also we've noticed that no tubs we can buy have built-in steps. We'd like to be able to have a step to feel safe getting down into the tub (the cement tub has a cement step).

Does an old drain need to be removed, or can a soaker tub's drain be attached to the old drain more easily?
Do some soaker tubs have built in steps?

Another idea is to raise the tub area and install a tub on top of it. That's apparently extremely expensive.

Would it be so expensive?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most people just convert it into a planter area. You can't just put the new tub inside it, but the floor and walls are NOT "2 feet thick" either. Usually 4" but could be 6".

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tubs require an overflow, and their drains rarely line up from model to model, so not moving the drain because the new tub lines up with the old one would be a very unusual situation. Most tubs are designed to be installed in an elevated platform, or on the floor, and you step over the tub wall to get it. You could use an undermount tub mounted flush with the floor to avoid the lip, or a drop-in, and put tile or some other surfacing over the lip to make it flush. You'd need to be careful about waterproofing that area. I've not looked for a tub with a step into it...so, have no suggestions if any even exist. In either case, it's likely to be fairly expensive.

Not something I'd really recommend, but depending on how long you want it to last, you could use a leveler product over the exiting tile, and have a custom plastic liner installed. You couldn't skip the leveler because the liner would end up eventually conforming to the tiled surface. By far from my first choice. And, most of those inserts are made off-site to fit known tubs...being a custom tub, it may not be even possible.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. "garden tubs" which is what these are called, seldom have an overflow
2. The drain is usually set into the tile, basically a floor drain with a movable plug, so there would be nothing for a "liner" to attach to in order to be "leakproof".
3. A "custom liner" would be the same size and shape of the existing tub, and that is the problem with this one already, not just that it is tiled.

japanese-soaking-tub-terrylove-02.jpg

japanese-soaking-tub-terrylove-05.jpg

japanese-soaking-tub-terrylove-04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Several bosses ago we did a remodel job which included terminating a jet tub which was a cast-in-place masonry thing in the master bath, maybe 4x6 feet, fed from something like pool equipment, with a heater, out in the yard. It was basically a Jacuzzi before it was a product, if you will. It was like 5 feet deep and took up one end of the master bath. The bottom of this thing was sitting on the earth, ok?
The new owners just wanted a shower, so we ran a 2" drain into the tub through one of the existing feeds, put in a p-trap, filled the tub with sand, then called the tile guys. Worked out nicely..

Tex13

Reaction score
I have a similar project. A sunken tile tub which is part of the slab foundation original pour. I am trying to get the tile removed and the surrounding curb knocked down to floor level. Then fill in the hole and have a free standing tub w a wall mount faucet.
I asked a plumber for an estimate. He said he couldn't do the job because the existing tub is on an outside wall. He referred me to a GC. Should I call a different plumber?
I'm trying to save money by avoiding GC. The GC the plumber sent was even higher than other previous GC bids.
Thanks,

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The guy who gets this to all work out right will be the tile guy. If he has a plumber that he's used to working with, they can work through the problems and issues without a GC.

Eden

Reaction score
I've got a slightly wild suggestion - this would be perhaps slightly expensive, but probably not as expensive as ripping out the existing tub. How about getting an ofuro (Japanese wooden soaking tub) built to line the existing tile tub. It would be warmer, softer and more comfortable than the tile tub and there wouldn't be any need to replace the plumbing. Just leave the original drain open, the ofuro would have simple plug that would just be pulled when you wanted to drain the tub. It's not a completely unknown style - check out something similar here http://www.bartokdesign.com/japan/2-products/hinoki-bathtub-shapes_sizes.php

Tex13

Reaction score
I've got a slightly wild suggestion - this would be perhaps slightly expensive, but probably not as expensive as ripping out the existing tub. How about getting an ofuro (Japanese wooden soaking tub) built to line the existing tile tub. It would be warmer, softer and more comfortable than the tile tub and there wouldn't be any need to replace the plumbing. Just leave the original drain open, the ofuro would have simple plug that would just be pulled when you wanted to drain the tub. It's not a completely unknown style - check out something similar here http://www.bartokdesign.com/japan/2-products/hinoki-bathtub-shapes_sizes.php
20150123_204631.jpg

Tex13

Reaction score
I posted a photo of existing tub, the straight walls are 60" by 60". I think the best option is to fill in & replace. And then enlarge my shower. I have Looked at Japanese soaker tubs and like the thought.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks