Ways to cut clay pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Blade_Jones, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Blade_Jones

Blade_Jones New Member

I am trying to cut a sewage main and prep it to join with an ABS + rubber Fernco. I don't have one of those $400 chain cutters. I do have a 4" angle grinder with 2 masonry blades. Would that be a good 2nd option?

UPDATE: The Grinder started a small score but it was ponderous, and even with a dust mask it was hell to breathe that clay dust. Not practical for this job. I wound up using a hand saw with a masonry blade and that worked much better. I got a hell of a workout and wouldn't do that every day though.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

ut

that is why we have the $400 snap cutters.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

I think you could've probably rented a snap cutters for a few bucks.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cut

A diamond blade, rather than an abrasive one might not have made as much dust.