waxless seal -flange top flat with floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
I need to set a Jacuzzi toilet on a tiled floor and wanted to use a fluidmaster waxless seal and have some questions. There was a flange extender on the flange and the sleeve for the seal would not go all the way down so I removed the extender and the flange is now even with the tile surface. The directions call for a 1/2" cardboard collar to be used around the sleeve with the gasket the fits around the horn and says that it is designed to be crushed down. The distance from the bottom of the horn to the toilet body is much more than a 1/2" and the collar would never crush down, not sure if this is a problem but unless the collar stays up above the floor and the end of the horn I would have a leak. In this situation it seems risky to depend on the flimsy cardboard to insure the sleeve stays up and in place. If I were to attach the sleeve directly to the toilet then I would have a concern as to whether the sleeve goes into the flange far enough to fully seal against sewer gas with the ring to the wall of the downpipe. I know I can use a extended wax seal and stack a wax ring or two if needed but would like to try the waxless if possible. I couldn't find a way to contact fluidmaster via email and the instructions in the box are somewhat poor. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. -
thanks -
don

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg

I push the fluidmaster on the horn of the toilet, and then set the toilet down into the flange.

RRW

Reaction score
Terry, Do you use any type of adhesive on the gasket to make it stick to the horn? Thanks, Dick Wells

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seal

It will stick by itself, and I never trust the cardboard to crush properly. You would never know if it is crushing first and not pushing the seal onto the toilet's extrusion.

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
Terry, thanks for the info and picture. I tried it the way you do in your picture and was just concerned whether the fluidmaster gasket was going far enough into the flange for a good seal. Very easy to line up that way. We are switching to another toilet as I found a hairline crack inside the tank. Will probably get a toto based on your recommendations. I saw very favorable references to your site on the John Bridge tile forums. In reading through your postings I can see that you offer sound advice. Thanks - Don

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks