Waxless Fluidmaster for old Norris toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Shawn Morgan

Reaction score
Got a Norris brand toilet, 30yo condo, I'm a newb. But read Terry's suggestion on placing the fluidmaster on toilet and then into the pipe, gave that a try. Either on toilet or off, far as installing, either way toilet remains off the floor an inch or little less. I put the 4" sleeve into the pipe with o-ring, and the top is flush with flange. Then attached the 3" sleeve onto the horn, and tried to install it that way. It did get closer, 1/2" or less, but there's still no goin. I'm seeing stress fractures in the 3" main body under red rubber valve area. Lastly, I tried to stick just the 3" sleeve into the pipe and it won't go flush by itself. I dunno if this means I need to get that wax crap, I looked over the box again, made no mention of brands or exclusions. Only thing I thought could change things is enough rust/crud on the inner circumference of the flange is enough to hold it up, or I could build a base for the toilet, maybe. Only fluidmaster and wax ring removed is only changes in any hardware.

Thanks for the help

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm seeing stress fractures in the 3" main body under red rubber valve area.

So why are you reinstalling the problem waiting to flood your unit?

If the Fluidmaster doesn't allow it to make floor contact, then you will need to use wax.
However, so many of the old Mansfield bowls that I installed in the 70's are now starting to break up.

norris_side.jpg

I installed a lot of these toilets in the 1970's
It's a Norris 5.0 gallon flush toilet, builder grade two piece toilet.
I see a lot of them showing cracking in the glaze and in the porcelain.

Last edited:

Shawn Morgan

Reaction score
This didn't post yesterday. Thanks for the reply. I saw your other thread on cracked glaze, etc on Norris toilets. I'm sol on replacing it for now and my glazing is still unblemished. I did get a wax ring, I appreciate your time. Also just saw you're in WA, can't promise any gain for ya, but will recommend ya when I can. Merry Christmas and thanks

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with that waxless fitting. In my case I think it is because the closet flange geometry at the top does not match the fluidmaster fitting. I got a Fernco waxless and they are made of rubber and have a shallower geometry at the top of the flange hole. That got the unit down to the floor. Cause is just my guess; can't prove it.

Shawn Morgan

Reaction score
cool, thanks, that was what I was seeing, top just not quite meshing. I took Terry's advice and went wax ring. Seemed to go ok, still ironing out some leaks/kinks but hopeful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks