Wax vs. no-wax for toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

kokopup

Reaction score
I am installing two new toilets in a remodel. In one bathroom, closet flange sits on top of finished floor. In the other bathroom, the flange is flush.

I read that no-wax seals may be better than wax rings. I picked up a couple today. They look sort of like a rubber sleeve. Has anyone used these? How do they hold up in the long run? Does the rubber eventually deteriorate?

I was thinking that in particular, for the bathroom where the flange is flush, the no-wax "sleeve" might be better to guard against water leaks. Any thoughts?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I used both the Fluidmaster waxless seal and wax.
I've found that both work well when the outlet fits them.
That means most toilets.
Toilets like the Caroma won't work with them.

Last edited:

kokopup

Reaction score
Uh oh, I have the Caroma Caravelle (240). Two of them. What should I use?

kokopup

Reaction score
I was looking at the offset adapter. I don't understand why the black rubber sleeve cannot be used (instead of a traditional was seal). It seems like we would be less likely to get leaks with the sleeve.

D

dc_homeplumber

I have successfully used the No-Wax® Flexible Toilet Seal Gasket by Plastic Oddities for over ten years with no problems whatsoever. They are less messy than wax and, in the event you have to pull the toilet off the floor, they are reusable. I did learn, though, to check the floor bolts periodically for the first six months to a year after installation to make sure they have remained snug.

In deference to Terry, however, I have no experience with Caroma and I'm sure there's a great likelihood he knows something I don't.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Terry knows

I gather that Terry knows something we don't. He plays in a rock n' roll band. Or maybe we know something he doesn't such as when it's time to go to bed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's the son that plays in the rock band, I'm the television producer on a public access station.
Out From Underneath.
It's my son that doesn't know when to go to bed.
Right now he's going back to the studio to record the third album.
He's looking at getting some of the songs on television and movies or recorded by other artists.
The entertainment lawyer we have been talking with on the East Coast thinks he could be "BIG". The clients he has are well known.
But then that's what the local people think too.
The words I hear most often are,
Going international,
Best male vocal on the West coast.
Best songs I've heard in years from any band.
They have over thirty songs that would be chart toppers for somebody.

Most toilets have a trapway of 2-1/8", which works well with something like the Fluidmaster no-wax seal.
Toto works well with them, as do most other brands, the exception being the Australian Caroma.

Last edited:

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Music Speaks

I've greatly enjoyed hearing your son's music. The lead into your television show is great. You look a little stronger in that video than on this site. The extreme snow/mountain hiking is not appealing to me to do, but nice to watch. What different lives we all lead.

terry_hike_50.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pbraun

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now.....

Thanks to the advice, I just bought a new Toto Ultramax for our bathroom remodel.

I also decided to try the Fluidmaster waxless seal. One question, though -- can't tell, but it seems to me that if I use a little vaseline on the seals, they will seal better. Or am I wrong? Do you just use them dry?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't know for sure, but a petroleum product on rubber/plastic components may be a bad thing. If things seem tight putting it together, you could use some liquid soap, but leave the jelly out of it. My unprofessional opinion.

p8ntsniper23

Reaction score
Dont Use Any Oil Based Products

oil based products such as Vaseline or any other product that is oil based causes rubber to swell up.... very badly...... It will ruin the seal

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lube

K-Y jelly is water based so you can use it and it will wash off when it gets wet so the piece will be more resistant to pulling out. And no wise cracks, please.

V

vaplumber

I always use standard wax rings without the sleeve or cone. Never had a problem, and never questioned this. I've installed toilets that haven't been touched in 30 plus years with no leaks and no problems.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
vaplumber said:
I always use standard wax rings without the sleeve or cone. Never had a problem, and never questioned this. I've installed toilets that haven't been touched in 30 plus years with no leaks and no problems.

I do the same...never a call-back or problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry... that's your sons band?

Yes, that's his band. They will be coming out with a third CD soon.
I also have more video taken at "the Showbox" in Seattle for my tv show that I do.

He will be rocking it with the tools today though.
Still trying to get that break. Sometimes, the fact that they are so good, means that when people listen to them, they think they are already there. They were down in LA for five months last year.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks