wax seal and bolt length question

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by spotfin, Jun 16, 2006.

1. spotfin

spotfin New Member

I am trying to install my new toto ultramax 1 piece toilet. My tile floor sits 5/8 inches above the toilet flange. I put a regular wax seal (the one with the funnel on the bottom) onto the floor toilet flange. I put the toilet on top of it, but discovered it did not smash the wax seal. I then added another seal (the ring kind, with no funnel) on top of the first seal, and I think it did smash down. To my dismay, I couldn't bolt one side of the toilet because the bolt was about 1/16 inch too short. I think it was 2 1/4 inches long. Do they make longer bolts?

I also slightly twisted the toilet a few times to get it straight. I am worried this broke the seal. Am I correct?

Any help would be appreciated. I probably have to redo the whole thing since I need longer bolts. I hope they make longer ones.

Jon
    California
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

[​IMG]
    Fluidmaster waxless seal, and the box comes with long bolts.

Yes, you can get longer bolts. Yes, you probably messed up the seal. It would be better if you had moved the flange up to the top of the floor when you redid it. Consider one of the waxless seals from Fluidmaster or Fernco. You can also buy flange extenders which would bring it up to the proper level.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2006
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

seal

There are longer bolts, and also thicker flanges, usually a #10 wax ring, or use the one with the "funnel" on top of a regular one so they are forced to stay together and in position.