Wax ring vs. Fernco FTS-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Snifferpro

Reaction score
Doing bathroom modifications and getting ready to replace toilet.

Saw an ad for a Fernco FTS-3 alternative to wax rings.
They suggest that installation is easier and toilet can be removed and reinstalled without
the need for a new wax ring.

It is billed as a replacement for wax rings.

Any thoughts? Good or bad.

Thanks

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think our consensus is that these kinds of things work okay (same with the "sani seal"), but so does a plain ol' wax ring. From the looks of it, that particular solution you mention might have a little difficulty sealing properly in certain situations, as it is designed to seal against the inside of the closet bend, rather than to seal the space between the top of the flange and the bottom of the toilet. Certain materials used for the bend would be easier to seal against then others. The "sani seal", meanwhile, seals the same area that is currently sealed by the wax ring, in much the same manner.

To some extent, it's a solution in search of a problem.

Wax works. Wax has worked for a long time. I didn't find the wax to be messy -- I just drop the ring on the floor flange and set the toilet down on it and smush it into the wax and -- voila! - done.

If I wanted to take the toilet up and put it down once a week, well, then, yeah, I might find another system to be more convenient, but I don't expect to be looking at my flanges for another decade at least.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are at least a couple of companies that make waxless seals (Fernco, Fluidmaster, SaniSeal). They do seal via a less robust method than wax, but if you regularly remove the toilet for some reason (maybe it's the only one in the house, and you need to install it and then remove it multiple times during a remodel, or you repaint or paper the room often, and don't want to deal with the wax), they do work. They tend to also cost many multiples of a wax ring, so you're swapping convenience for the extra cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks