Wax Ring Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

rfransix

Reaction score
Hi,

When I noticed that the floor board was leaking in the basement from around the first floor toilet, I removed the toilet thinking the wax ring broke.

Well, about 5 years back, the floor was raised with new tile. The contractor put a double wax ring in, and skipped the plumber putty step around the base. Anyways, the first ring was clean; the second ring was hard and broken and dirty.

Would you recommend squirting in caulk, or stuffing plumbers putty around the outside of the flange to prevent leaking through the floor boards?

After cleaning everything and reviewing my options, I purchased a larger wax ring (40% more wax). Well, upon inspection, I noticed a hard material on the inside of the flange in the floor (there is a small ledge on the inside and it appears to be hardened plumbers putty, possibly from the original 1960's install). I started gently scraping this away and realized I didn't know what I was doing. Should I be removing this material? Is it plumbers putty? Is it simply a matter of replacing with new plumbers putty?

I still have the problem about raising the flange. Obviously, the double wax ring idea isn't appealling. I've seen a rubber extension that 'sticks' to the bottom of the toilet for 3" or 4" drains. What's the history of this 'unsticking'? If used, have you used it in addition to a wax ring(s)? It not securing could case damage.

Thanks for you advice. Very much appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flange is not raised, then two or more wax rings may be needed.

I'm not a big fan of plumbers putty.
They do make the extensions that "stick" on the bottom, I have not used them yet.
I have used the Fluidmaster waxless seal, works pretty good as long as it's not too deep.
With those, I stick them on the toilet first, and then drop the whole thing into the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks