Wax Ring Replaced and toilet still leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

bmigala

Reaction score
I replaced the wax ring (extra wax ring type) and the water around the toliet base still came out. I lifted the toliet out and seal appeared to be good.
Current ring has been on for about 5 years.

Replaced the wax ring with another one of the same type and still leaked.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where is the toilet flange in relation to the top of the floor? Did the wax ring actually get compressed when you set the toilet? Did the toilet rock any after it was installed? It must be shimmed so it is perfectly stable, or the wax will squish in one end, and when you rock back the other way, then leave a gap...the wax doesn't rebound like a spring...once compressed, it stays that way. If the seal is good, are you sure it is not leaking between the tank and the bowl? If all else is good, then there may be a defect in the toilet, or it is damaged (cracked) and leaking there.

bmigala

Reaction score
Wax ring replaced and toliet still leaks

Thanks for response - see my responses below.

Where is the toilet flange in relation to the top of the floor? - Sits below floor - Peel and stick tile squares and the underlayment are around it. Did the wax ring actually get compressed when you set the toilet? - Yes, wax was around the flange. Did the toilet rock any after it was installed? - No.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
2 things you can double check.

1) make sure the toilet flange is firmly fastened to the floor with screws.

2) make sure your toilet tank bolts are not leaking.(toilet tank should not move . It should sit firm on the back of the bowl)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The ideal location of the flange is on top of the finished floor. You say the vinyl tile and underlayment are around the flange. If I read this correctly, this means the flange is recess below the level of the floor quite a bit. If this is true, then you need to remedy this by either adding an extension ring or with a thicker wax ring. Do not use wax rings with the plastic funnel, just a plain ring. You could also use a waxless ring such as the Fluidmaster.

fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg

If you use the Fluidmaster waxless seal, push it onto the bottom of the bowl first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks