Wax ring on toilet or floor flange

Users who are viewing this thread

D

DJ2

Last time I installed a toilet I put the wax ring on the toilet instead of the floor flange. Worked well.

Would like to hear other people's preference.

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
Me too!

Same here. I think its is strange, however, because all the plumbers I talked to do it that way. On the other hand, all the instructions I read say to put it on the flange..... :confused:
See ya, Tom

D

DJ2

The instructions for my Toto Drake and Atlas say to put it on the toilet.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Either way will work, if you're using one ring.

If you have to stack two wax rings, which happens a lot, it's not going to work well.
I've pulled toilets up that had the rings setting near the middle of the drain, installed by the floor guy, blocking the flow of water.
That's not going to happen if the wax is down first.
So.......if the wax doesn't fall off the bottom of the toilet, sticking it there should work.
I don't like guessing if it will though.
I stick them on the floor.

Last edited:

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
I go for the wax on the floor flange also . If you stick it on the bowl and happen to have to put the bowl down on the floor BEFORE you get to the flange ,,,,,,wax all over the place !

Please don't ask me to re-live it,,,,it was a very expensive floor, i was young, OH God the horror !!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ring

Snow, you haven't talked to the right plumbers. If you put it on the toilet, it can fall off while you are setting the bowl and you will never know it until the bowl starts leaking, or will not flush proper, or plugs up.

Snowman

Reaction score
Website
blizphotos.wordpress.com
Yes, I agree.........

You know,,,,,,, being over 60 does have it's advantages, like SENIOR DISCOUNTS! It also has its disadvantages too, like forgetting.

After reading what DJ@ wrote, I went back and checked... :eek:
Ahh-hum well, I got it backwards. Instructions say toliet, I put it on the flange. Really I did!!! :)
Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks