WAX RING "old Timey" or not??

Users who are viewing this thread

Maemer

Reaction score
I'm going to install the TOTO Guinevere and I need to know which one is the best to use:
1) Yucky wax ring (tried & true)
2) Neoprene foam ring
3) Fernco's wax-free
4) Fluidmaster wax-less ring
5) Zurn Noe-seal gasket
6) Sani seal
7) Rectorseal
I have no earthly idea what to use. My older Kohler has the wax ring.
Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The wax ring is the least expensive seal, and works fine. If your flange isn't mounted ideally (on top of the finished floor), you may need to stack two or use a jumbo. If you might want to be removing the toilet on a regular basis to paint or wallpaper, then a waxless would let you do that without having to replace the wax ring. But, if I remember correctly, that toilet uses a UniFit adapter, and you can lift the toilet no problem, and never have to change the seal since the adapter stays in place. So, without seeing it and where it sits on your floor, it's hard to say, but a regular wax ring is probably going to work just fine. Avoid those with a built-in plastic funnel, they often tend to create more problems than they try to solve.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I mainly use wax, sometimes the Sani-Seal.
There are plenty of options now. There are just some I have gotten around to yet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks