Watts quick-connect fittings?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Rancher, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Rancher

Rancher Guest

Anybody use these?

Connect to Multiple Materials!

Watts Quick-Connect fittings incorporate Stainless Steel Gripping Teeth in the Collets. These corrosion resistant teeth allow the fittings to interconnect with multiple materials without the need for special tools or tube inserts.

PEX, LDPE, MDPE, & HDPE Tubings
    Copper
    CPVC
    Polybutylene

[​IMG]

Rancher
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I looked at them...not that impressed. One of the things I particularly didn't like was the "Made in China" label. Might be fine. The Sharkbite's seem much more robust (but cost more). Now, I didn't actually use one, they could be fine.
  3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Architect

we use them all the time in pilot valve controllers with no problems at 90PSI. Makes troubleshooting easy since you can disconnect and reconnect them. I use them in my house for the RO drinking water hookup. I like 'em.:) Easier to use than ferrule and compression. I admit I've not used them on metal pipe tho...
  4. Bob NH

Bob NH In the Trades

I have used the Jaco brand fittings (made in USA) http://www.jacomfg.com/j_fit.html in industrial applications with excellent success. Nylon and glass-reinforced polypropylene are good for water applications. Stay away from the Celcon (acetal) if there is even a hint of chlorine in the water.

They make nuts with stainless steel grippers for hard materials and plastic grippers for softer materials. They are rated at up to 220 psi when used with the gripper nuts.

The large selection of fittings means you don't need a lot of adapters that can cost as much as the fittings.

When I was buying them they had substantial discounts from list prices for even modest quantities.
  5. bobcat

bobcat New Member

Can the Watts Quick-Connect be used to interface 1/2 uponor pex (wirsbo) plastic pipe to copper 1/2.

If not any suggestions?

Thanks
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Watts and the Sharkbites will do that.

Check the video here
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  7. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I would personally favor the Cash-Acme Sharkbite over the Watts Quick Connect.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plastic

The plastic ones are easier to disassemble than Sharkbites, and the John Guest ones have a positive locking collet on the larger sizes to prevent accidental disconnecting. They are approved for the same locations as Sharkbites, but I, personally, would not use them in concealed locations.