Watts or Viega Tool?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by adamb, Nov 18, 2008.

1. adamb

adamb New Member

Hello everyone,

I've been researching the various types of Pex fastening systems and have narrowed my choice to either the Watts system with copper crimp ring or the Viega with the stainless steel press sleeve. The only thing holding me back from the Viega is the cost of the complete tool kit...$1300 or so. From the research I've done it appears that the multi-head Watts crimp tool may be able to accomplish the Viega press fitting. If you look at Pexsupply.com, Watts doesn't offer a 1" adapter head in their own line but offers the Viega 1" tool for their crimp ring. Does anyone have any experience using the Watts or Pexcaliber tools with Viega sleeves and vice versa. Any help would be appreciated.

Adam
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Dump both and go wirsbo. Watts is crap, viega is crap. both will be on the short end of class action lawsuits in the near future. The fittings are restrictive and don't meet anybody's code.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Interesting comment though its accuracy may be debatable.
  4. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

Please explain why wirsbo isn't restrictive also? I watched the video and clearly see a fitting is pressed into the ID of the PEX ... so what's the difference.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The Wirsbo fitting won't fit into the pipe as delivered...the tool stretches the pipe so it is large enough to allow the fitting to fit inside, then it collapses back to the normal size locking it in place (well, not quite since it is now fitting over the fitting that wouldn't fit in the pipe in the first place). The system relies on the shape retention characteristics of the plastic pex material. They use a reinforcement collar that is stretched at the same time.
  6. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

Please attachment. The ID on this coupling is smaller than the pipe ID ... same issue as all the other manufacturers fittings regarding a reduction in the ID ... I'm looking at a 3/4 coupling and the OD of the fitting is 3/4".
    http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Files/Technical%20Documents/Specifications%20and%20Submittals/Plumbing/Brass%20Fittings/propex_brass_couplings.aspx?sc_lang=en
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Well, since the ID of 3/4" OD pipe is smaller than 3/4", compare the ID of the fitting with the ID of the pipe.