Waterproofing Walls for Neo Angle Shower Using Wedi Board

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
Im looking for the correct procedures to water proof the walls up against my neo angle shower pan and also waterproof the walls themselves for tiling. I will be using a 38 inch Swanstone Solid surface Neo Angle shower pan and ceramic tiles.

Does the Wedi Board go over the shower pan lip...leaving a 1/4 gap for slicone caulk? How do I do this correctly?

Another area of concern is the two corners where the Swanstone shower pan ends meets the walls on the left and right sides. Keeping these areas water tight seems like a challenge. Not sure how to do it.

Lastly, is Wedi Board strong enough for a person to lean on the walls after it is tiled? I plan to put the Wedi board right on the studs, if that is allowed. Wedi board looks sort of lightweight but it may be strong when a person pushes on it, but I'm not sure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Wediboard comes in various thicknesses, and if you choose one approved for use on a wall, you should be okay. Thinsetting the tile to it stiffens up the assembly considerably, but you still need to start with a reasonable thickness. You wouldn't want their thinnest board, unsupported on a wall. You'd want it to lap over the tiling flange. You could notch the back of it so that it lays flat over the flange.

DanMcD

Reaction score
Thanks. Nice pics too!

I sure like the idea of some type of rockboard (or similar) then Wedi over that....but I think that would makde the wall too thick since this is a remodeling job.

You are right....I'm better offf hiring a pro to do this part of the job.

Dan

DanMcD

Reaction score
Great...thanks again JW. I plan to add the plywood to make it strong. Pushing through the wall is a chance I do not want to take. Dan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks