Waterproof a Laundry Room?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Mad Plumber, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Mad Plumber

Mad Plumber Mad Skills

Aug 13, 2005
    I would like to know how to waterproof a Laundry Room floor that I am going to tile. I am using 1/2 " treated plywood over the existing plywood and then using Durock 1/4" or 1/2" which ever you think is better. I need to know where to put the waterproofing and what to use. I have not located a pan that will fit. The laundry room is on the second floor and I have installed a center drain rough in. It measures 8'9" x 4"6".
    Thank You,
    Stephen Ayers
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    1/2" hardibacker over the plywood should be sufficient. However, you said waterproof and cement board of any type is NOT. You would have to have a moisture barrier under it, as is done in a shower. A better choice for a floor would be redgard coating, or something from the schluter family.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    To ensure the water runs to the drain, you need slope. What you need is essentially a large shower pan with a curb to keep it from running out into the hallway. You could effect a low one with a marble threshold, which MIGHT keep it from running out, depending on the flow rate. Keep in mind, you'll need to run the waterproofing up the wall a little, or it will just run underneath the wall plate. Check out www.johnbridge.com for some additional ideas.

If you have a pan underneath the washer and run the drain line from it, you wouldn't need the slope. This would NOT help (much) if a hose burst, though.
  5. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

Aug 23, 2005
    I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
    Columbus, OH
    Don't use treated plywood. It can have enough movement (shrinkage) to crack tile. Use a schluter product as is done in a shower.