Watercloset flange 90 deg off

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Italwaysleaksafterwards, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Italwaysleaksafterwards

Italwaysleaksafterwards New Member

Greetings all you master plumbers
    Just had a shop built with the bathroom drain plumbing installed in the concrete floor. I know almost nothing when it comes to installing a toilet and it does not seem to be rocket science - but the problem that I see is that the contractor installed the toilet flange 90 degrees off. In other words the T-bolt slots are 90 degrees from where I would like them, so that when I install the toilet it will sit (or point) in the wrong direction, if I were to use the t-bolt slots in the existing flange for installing the toilet. Is there some kinda of adaptor that I can install that will re-orient the t-bolt slots or ?? Removing the existing flange is out of the question as it is sealed into the concrete. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Why are you willing to repair a blotched installation job? Call the installer and make him replace the flange properly. You're right, installing a toilet is not rocket science, but there are several things that can be done wrong and when you pay for a job to be done, you are entitled to have it done right. Take photos and if push comes to shove, take this guy to small claims court.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Don't get too uptight yet! Some flanges have both T-slots and 90-degrees offset from that, just narrow slots. The narrow slots are stronger, and if you orient it accurately, are better to use to anchor the toilet than the T-slots. Does your flange have those? If so, you're fine, and he did a good job. If not, some of the flanges have a ring that can be rotated after you remove the anchor screws - still not catastrophic. It may also have been not clear which way the toilet was to be installed, and he guessed. What are the dimensions from the center to the nearest walls? The one that is 12" is to the back. If it is 15" or more, that is to the side.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    If worst comes to worst, you can always install one of these to hold the closet bolts.
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

How about posting a picture of this flange... Show where the wall the toilet tank would go against is located.