water well question for church

Users who are viewing this thread

rbig

Reaction score
I'm just getting started on a project of a community garden for our church.

The whole project is pretty much going to be dependent on getting good water production from an old well.

The well was orignally designed to run sprinklers in a 3 acre lawn. Years ago, we were forced to go to city water, so we just decided not to hook sprinkler system to city.

I was at the well and kicked it on. It now delivers good, over the side production. through a 2" pipe, 2hp well pump.

This is kind of a "know what we're doing" deal, or we will lose the project.

With this, what should I be doing/thinking/testing for?

With the well original purpose, it might be sufficient in production for 1 hour watering every other day.

With the surface production looking OK----is there anything else I can do to check?

Our runout will be 400' of pipe to garden patch, some under driveways and sidewalks. Will the 2hp pump normally be sufficient to deliver the water? Or, is it likely well need bigger?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
See if the pump will run "over the side" for an hour or two, then measure how many gallons per minute in a bucket. This will be how much your WELL will make. Then put a tee with a gauge sticking up and a ball valve going out on the discharge pipe. Choke back on the valve until the gauge reads about 40 PSI, then let it run for a while. Use your bucket again to find out how much you PUMP is making at 40 PSI. Then you can work on the controls needed to make an automatic system, and figure out how many sprinklers to run at one time.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
See if the pump will run "over the side" for an hour or two, then measure how many gallons per minute in a bucket.

Running the water ' "over the side" for an hour or two' could run the well out of water below the inlet. That could cause you to have to re-prime the pump, which you may or may not be able to do easily.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If that happens, then you know the well won't make that much water. Get the pump back to running and see how much it will make. You are either going to have to call a pump man or take the time to study and become one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks