Water well Pressure tank inside house

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by vwmartinez, Aug 8, 2013.

1. vwmartinez

vwmartinez New Member

I am about to have a water well installed. It is a 1-1/2hp submersible that will be 350' deep and located about 50' from the house. It will include a 120 gallon galvanized pressure tank but I am wanting to have the tank installed inside the house. The tank will be located in a closet next to the kitchen and living room, do these tanks make much sound filling with water that would make me regret installing it indoors in a location like this?
  2. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

I would be more concerned with condensation.

If the system is set up with air release valve there will be a slight hissing but that's about it.
  3. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

You also might hear a little air gurgling each time the pump starts. And if you are using the old style air over water tank because you have Sulfur or something stinky in the water, the air volume control might be letting the "stink" in the house.
  4. vwmartinez

vwmartinez New Member

Would the tank have much condensation if it was in a air conditioned space? I guess I could have it installed on a water heater over flow catch pan that drains outside.
  5. vwmartinez

vwmartinez New Member

I did not think about the air release valve letting sulfur smelling air out inside the house. I will question them about that. Thanks
  6. craigpump

craigpump Well-Known Member

About the condensation, it would depend on the temp of the ground water where you are. Here in Ct the water is about 53 degrees.

I forgot about the possible surfer smell.
  7. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Ask Valveman but I think I would recommend a Pside-kick.
  8. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

No. Not unless you use a Sulfur Eliminator or some other way of getting rid of the sulfur smell without using the big air over water tank.
  9. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Put the tank in the garage, not the house. It will sweat in the summer time. Our GW temp is 67-72* here in SE Texas. Also have you considered locating the tank outside?
  10. vwmartinez

vwmartinez New Member

I am going to go ahead and place the pressure tank outside the house but about 40 feet from the well.