Water well nightmare!

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Delle

Reaction score
I had a pump motor go out, windings burned. The only issue right before the pump went out was the motor kicking on and off because of a leak in (sorry don't know what it is called) the plastic fitting with little floating ball connected to the tank. Call the local well man, he confirmed motor was bad after trying a starter Cap. and a few other electonic compoments and told me the problem was cause because of the moter surging on and off.
He installed a new pump but said he couldn't get it to work, he thought the jet inside the well needed to be pulled. That's when the nightmare started. He tried using a jack to pull the jet out and the PVC pipe going to the jet broke where it connects to the jet.. His plan now is to try to knock the old jet out of the way. He poured "Rust Out " down the pipe and plans on letting sit over night and come back tomorrow and try to knock the old jet out of the way.

First I have no idea why he tried to pull the jet in the first place. I wasn't having any problems with it. I was told today that it should be pulled at least every 10 years. It has to have been at 30 years because that is how long I have been in this house. I have never had a problem with bad water or sand in the water and when he first removed the old pump, he said things were looking good because he said he didn't think he would even have to prime the well.

So my question is, how likey is the problem going to solved by trying to knock the old jet out of the way. Is there a better way to get the jet loose other than using "Rust Out".

Any ideas, comments would be very helpful. I don't want to have to pay for a new well to be dug.
Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the pump casing 2 inches inside diameter, 4 inches, or what? Steel?

Michael Delle

Reaction score
It's 2" plastic, and don't think when he first had a problem pulling it out, he should have tried the Rust Out before trying to force it using a jack?

Michael Delle

Reaction score
Update. The well company sent out a different tech today. He was able to knock down the old jet out of the way and install a new jet and supply pipe down my well. Installed the new pump, and now I have water again. I did talk to the owner of the company and aked why he even tried to pull the jet and pipe out in the first place, when my orignal problem was just a pump motor. Then if they were having trouble pulling the pipe and jet out, why didn't they use the Rust Out to first try to loosen it before using a jack to force it up. He didn't have an answer to either question and also didn't admit that mistakes were made by the first tech. The amout I was charged I think was fair so I think the owner did have to assume some blame for all the problems the first tech caused. Bottom line I have water again!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water will flow right through the old jet, one of my personal wells has a jet stuck down in it (tree fell on casing and broke off pump).

Sometimes trash or debris gets in the old jet and needs to be cleaned before the pump will be able to make pressure. If he put a new pump on and it wouldn't pump then the jet needs to be removed and cleaned. I suspect that your old jet was cast iron and had "rotted" in-two. I see this a lot in PVC wells here on the coast. Glad to see you got it all going. Jet pumps can be very tricky at times and sometimes you need to try different things to get them going. Ditch the AVC on the tank. They are expensive and don't last long. Just use a schrader valve and add air to the tank with an air compressor 2-4 times per year and you won't have any more trouble.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks