Water valve at curb

Users who are viewing this thread

dkeys

Reaction score
Can someone please shed some light on the water valve at the curb? I have a small metal disc about 4" diamater with 2 holes in it (assuming for a spanner wrench of some kind). Is this just a lid, or is this the handle for the valve stem?

I have a small leak at the valve before my water meter and would like to replace the valve. I know a liscensed plumber should be called. The water utility has informed me that I own the curb valve so if something happens, I have to pay for it anyway. If I can gain an understanding of how it works, I can make a decision if this is someting I would like to attempt, or hire out.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Look on the bright side, since it is before the meter the leak is NOT costing you anything. That is the reason ANYTHING ahead of the meter is usually the responsibility of the water company, because THEY are paying for any water leaks in that area.

dkeys

Reaction score
Yeah, not worried about the cost of the water dripping at the valve....yet. I have owned the house for about 1.5yrs and there was a copper strap (maybe an old bonding strap) that was about an inch below the valve. It appears that has corroded the pipe (copper and steel contact) and I am weeping in that area. Don't want a pipe to blow out. Will need to cut the pipe a bit lower in the good section of the pipe and rethread it for a new valve. Just got off the phone with the city again (to confirm) and they don't do the shutoff here, they said to call a plumber to do it. I'll give a couple a call to get a quote. It should be a quicker job for a plumber that has an electric threader vs. me doing it by hand if the price is reasonable. If not, I'll buy a key and try it myself.

dkeys

Reaction score
I called a plumber and they were able to send someone right out. Price was reasonable so I just had them do the job. The plumber couldn't get his key all the way down the pipe rise as it was a bit misaligned. He didn't want to beat it in the hole for fear of not getting it to come back out. He called the city and they had someone in the area who didn't mind taking a hammer to his key. Quick job once it was shut off. Although the meter was ticking waiting for the city guy to show up. Grateful I had someone out. I was able to put a screwdriver through the pipe where it was corroded. Looks like there was an old copper bond strap w/ wire that had eaten its way through the pipe. Thanks for the info on the valve. Between that and speaking with the plumber I have an understanding on the set up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks