Water use - hissing G-Max Korky 528 fill valve - Quiet Fill

Users who are viewing this thread

scm518

Reaction score
Possible Toto flushing/refilling problem

I installed 2 Totos in my house, a Drake and an EcoDrake. The Drake, which has been installed approximately 2 years ago has an issue flushing about 60% of the time - well the problem isnt technically flushing - its refilling the tank I believe. It will refill then stop, then refill, then stop - about 10 times or so, and each time it stops, it makes the sound of an old rusty valve closing, then opening, etc etc. Then after the pulsing stops, there is is one long 10 second deep sounding whine - then the process is over.

It doesnt do this every time - if it helps, I could try to get a video of this happening as I am sure my description above is sketchy at best.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

Sean in PA

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Read the lower part of this page,
The simple fix is replacing the assembly cap

If you hear hissing, it's water.

www.terrylove.com/korky

korky_cap.jpg

DGasper

Reaction score
Hissing

Had the same exact problem with a friend's toilet. Someone else had replaced the fill valve but didn't cut the little tube to the correct length causing it to siphon. As the water level dropped, the fill valve would come on slowly and hiss. After replacing two flappers, it finally occurred to me what the problem was. Cut the tube as short as possible and problem solved.

scm518

Reaction score
Terry,

Thank you for the info. It seems to have done the trick, and as you said, the total repair was about $2.58 and took about 1 minute with no tools. (Would have been quicker, but I tend to be very gentle with plastic parts) Here is what I think was the cause of my issues, as the gasket looks very warped. The replacement piece had a much thicker material as the gasket, so hopefully that does the trick. (sorry for the blurry photo, but I thought it might be a help to anyone that is doing this for the first time.

Attachments

• korky_scm.jpg
    korky_scm.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 4,774
Last edited by a moderator:

jtanihana

Reaction score
Toto 1.6 GPF Tank Fill Valve Gasket question

I have a Toto 1.6 GPF that started making a horrible noise when the tank would refill. Sounded like the fill valve was really working hard. The fill valve is a "Type B" and has a blue removable cover. My friendly plumber stopped by and said that the Gasket was going and needed replacement. Since he was here, the situation has gotten worse and the shut off is no longer working and water just keeps running through. I have turned of the supply except when we flush!

I have looked on Toto's website and I think I see the replacement part for $3.00. I am wondering if this is a replacement that I can do and if so, how do I do it? I am fairly good with plumbing and would think that I could do it for less than the $50 that he wants. I am also wondering if I have to by a Toto gasket or if I can use a universal one?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pick one up at Lowes or a plumbing supply store and put it in yourself. My 80+ year old mother did one on hers...unless you're a real clutz, you can do it. The instructions are on the package. Should be done in about a minute - well, maybe a bit longer the first time you do it, but not much.

xanthippe

Reaction score
Hi,

I realize this is an old thread, however I found it very useful for diagnosing and repairing my Korky 528 valve in my 4 year old Toto. I too had an intermittently hissing valve and no apparent leakage which stopped if I shut off the supply valve. I replaced the valve cap after confirming the old cap gasket had failed. It appeared to do the trick...then 2 days later the valve began hissing again. I took it apart, reassembled and it still hissed. I thought I was going to have to replace the whole valve when it occurred to me that it might have something to do with the float. I noticed when I connected the float on the new cap it was very loose compared to the way it fit on the original cap. It's held onto the cap by spring tension of the two plastic hinges on the either side of the float brace. I found that I could affect the valve action dramatically by jiggling the float while it was assembled. I took the float off and (gently) spread the plastic hinges away from the sides so it fit tightly when placed on the valve cap. The valve is now working perfectly. I hope this little tidbit of information helps if someone is still experiencing a leaking valve after replacing the valve cap.

DanMcD

Reaction score
Long Term Performance Reliability of Toto Drake

I read the below on the Web Site "Toilets That Work" and wonder if others on this site have experienced similar problems with the Tota Drake over the long term (4-5 years or more)?

Date Purchased: 12/2005
Overall Rating: 6/10
Flush Rating: 6/10
Ease of Installation: 8/10

" When I built my home I put in Drakes(5 in all). Initially, I was so impressed with the performance compared to the toilets in my last home. Toward the end of the 3rd year I started having to replace the flappers. So far I've fixed 4 of the 5. Now they're having a new problem. 3 of the 5 are now having a long delay before they begin to refill after a flush. I'm not so impressed any more. One would expect a longer, problem free product from a higher price toilet. By the way, my in laws also have 3 drakes and have been having the same problems. "

https://terrylove.com/korky/

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
How fast flappers deteriorate depends almost entirely on the quality of the water in your area and whether chlorine in-tank bowl cleaners are used. That the flappers are failing around the same time both for him and his inlaws indicates that this is a water (local condition) issue rather than some defect in his Totos. The poster on the toilet web site mentioned above should just get the Korky "Fits Toto" Red flapper as his replacement to maximize the time between changes. They are guaranteed 5 years if you don't use an in-tank bowl cleaner. As to the fill issues, all they would have to do is follow Terry's link above to learn how to service the valves and be good another 4 years. Again, a local water issue.

In particular, if the valve is taking a while to "start" refilling as opposed to just refilling slowly, then the little drain in the bottom of the float housing may be partially-blocked due to water quality and just needs to be rinsed.

The Drake uses good, straightforward simple parts that usually last a reasonable period of time, and, most importantly, are simple for the homeowner to fix.

The poster on that web site is off-base. I would say it differently, but I will behave myself.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming it has the Korky valve made for Toto, the refill delay is fixed by changing the seal - it takes all of about 60-seconds and a few dollars. If it doesn't bother you, just leave it and change it when it stops working, either by leaking or never opening. The only time it really becomes an issue is if the toilet needs to be flushed in quick succession by the next user, and it may not have refilled.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Actually, if it takes a while to begin to refill after water has run down in the tank, it's likely that the the water isn't draining out of the float chamber fast enough (and so delaying the movement of the float and resulting opening of the valve), either due to a dirty little white check ball (if it has one) or a narrowing of the little hole at the bottom of the chamber. Cleaning that should get the thing started without needing to mess with the seal, although if the float chamber has crud in it, rinsing off the seal cap probably would help, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks