Water to detached garage

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Steve S., Oct 4, 2005.

1. Steve S.

Steve S. New Member

I want to run water from my house to a detached garage. Both are on slab foundations. I will bury the pipe 36" (for Chicago winters). How do I keep the vertical sections of pipe from freezing where they enter the buildings?Does the ground under the buildings stay above freezing? What's the best way to enter the buildings for the hookup? Thanks!
    Steve S.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

garage

If the garage is heated the ground will not freeze, otherwise it will be at the same temperature, or slightly above it, as the garage. If the garage is not heated, the pipe will freeze unless you provide a means of draining the water out of it.
  3. Steve S.

Steve S. New Member

So do I need to come up through the slabs, or is there a way to get around that? I'll be using the water year round.