Water Test Results / Treatment Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, Questions and Answers' started by gedmeyer, Mar 19, 2017 at 5:42 PM.

1. gedmeyer

gedmeyer New Member

I had my water tested last summer when we purchased our house. Could some of you pro's recommend a decent treatment system?

-Well is 80-100 ft.
    -Well pump and supply line to house was replaced after this test (original supply line was galvanized, if it matters).
    -House was minimally occupied at time of testing (not much water use)
    -Cost and efficient water usage are preferred.
    -House on edge of suburbia. Some farms nearby.
    - water table is generally high

Thanks!

water test.JPG

2. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    Simple to treat for the basics. You have high turbidity, some iron/manganese and hardness. This test is not very scomprehensive but it gives us a good idea of some of the problems.

I would recommend a Katalox Light system and softener. The KL system will usually take care of the turbidity, iron, manganese. Softener will be redundant for the manganese iron and will take care of hardness.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. gedmeyer

gedmeyer New Member

Should I retest my well considering that it wasn't being used regularly when the test was performed? Also, could the 100' of galvanized piping impact the results at all? This was all replaced since the test. The toilet gets an orange-ish stain after about a week. The water does not seem to have an odor.

What are the key decision points in system design?

5. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Water systems designer, R&D, Technical Director
    System design is based on the contaminants and water quality you desire.

We have many customers that want to remove the "bad" stuff from all of their water, others just want to remove it from the drinking water.

It is important to not have contaminants that are dangerous from skin contact or water that will damage your plumbing and plumbing components.

It is common to remove iron, manganese and odor since these are annoyances. Hardness is also commonly reduced since it causes its own unique problems. Things like arsenic can be removed from all the water but is usually only removed from drinking water.

I would recommend a new test if your budget allows. Testing should be done every year or so since you are your own municipality. You should also have some basic tests on hand for testing. TDS meter, hardness, temperature etc are all common so you can see any changes in your water quality.

From what I see of your test only some basic filtration is needed. I would also recommend a drinking water RO system for the water you consume or cook with.

6. gedmeyer

gedmeyer New Member

The system should be sized for a family of 4.

How much water and how frequently would backwash be required? Also, will this system have adverse effects on water pressure or flow rate?

Why would the RO system be recommended?

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Information about your pump could matter. A KL filter can take a fair amount of backwashing -- maybe 7 GPM or so for a 10 inch tank.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017 at 4:46 PM