Water Test? Also digital Or mech control ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Crazyeyes

Reaction score
Where or how do i get my water tested?
Also , I'm ready to pop on a fleck 5600 . After I get my water tested.
Would I want digital control or mech. control?
I want easy to use.
Thank you

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Where or how do i get my water tested?
Also , I'm ready to pop on a fleck 5600 . After I get my water tested.
Would I want digital control or mech. control?
I want easy to use.
Thank you

Depends on what all you would like to have tested with in the water.
There is a national lab that does some 83 different items within the water,, about 150.00
Then there might be a Sears store that might do it... or some other dealer in your area..
If it is city water then call the city for information of what is in the water.
Depending on the water test...
the 5600 non digital might be the simpler way to go... from what I have seen to many just do not get the programing chart that comes with the digital SXT..

Crazyeyes

Reaction score
I called water company .
My hardness is 72.0
House 1100 sq feet . 1 full bath . 1 half bath . Dishwasher . Washing machine . 2 adults , 2 children .
What size water softener do I need ?

Thank you

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you follow the formula from the link you included you also need to know what the iron level is for your sample....... A hardness of 72mg/l is not considered to be hard. Some minerals in the water are good. Also if you soften the water, it adds sodium and that is not always better. In general I would not recommend softening the water unless the hardness is much over 80mg/l. Water softer than 50mg/l becomes corrosive and will corrode copper pipes if the water sets in the pipes for long periods of time. Hardness levels below 30mg/l are very corrosive and will cause bad taste because of the copper etc dissolved in the water. Hardness 50 mg/l to 80 mg/l is a good level in most cases and you fall in that range. If you do soften your water I would make sure it stays above 50mg/l. Good Luck

Crazyeyes

Reaction score
I'm going to have my water checked from my house.
A plumbing supply house will send my water off for free.
This will take about a week .
I will be back in a week with the results .
Thank you

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Softened water does not cause corrosion.

Naturally soft water does only because the pH is low (acidic). Acid eats things.

Hard water supposedly puts down a "protecting" layer keeping the copper etc. from the water, although it takes 5 years to do it.

Hard water is hard on all appliances (especially water heaters, fuel and electric bills too), plumbing fixtures, clothes, skin, hair etc. etc.. Hard water causes many hidden expenses.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello All,

To answer Your question Rick, Try this site.

http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/conversion/flowrate.htm

It has metric as well as U.S. conversion.

To calculate 37 seconds for 1 gallon then ,

60 seconds divided by 37 seconds = Gallon per Minute.

That should be about 1.62 gal per minute. You just need to watch where you take your measurement at.

Good Luck on your project.

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your gpm is going to be low for a sink with an aerator on the spout. Also if there are 4 people living in the house, it is possible for more than one water using fixture to be running. The washing machine and the dish-washer could be running while someone is taking a shower and someone might flush a toilet in the half bath.

Crazyeyes

Reaction score
Thank you all .
I think my water company has a different level then my house . All my water outlet has build up and fausit screen clogged up every couple months
Next Thursday I should have the results
Rick

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
How old is your house? You may not have hard water at all and the clogs might be due to galvanized plumbing that is rusting. If you have a basement or crawl space, you can look there to see what the plumbing is made out of. If you are on a slab, then it is probably easiest to check under kitchen and bath sinks and see if the supply is copper, plastic, or galvanized.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Instead of a water softener you might be better off to get something like a Big Blue Whole House Water Filter. This would remove any particles that may be coming in from the source. A carbon filter would make it taste better if that is a problem. I like the 4.5 inch by 20 inch filters because they can handle plenty of flow and you will not have to change them as often.

Crazyeyes

Reaction score
I have copper piping . I also ,was thinking about water filter .
Next thrusday , I will have the results . Not sure what they test for .
I will post it .
I found out today at the plumbing supply house , that my town get there water from a well .

Rjh2o

Reaction score
A Fleck 5600sxt Metered 40k system and a Big Blue sediment pre-filter is a good choice for your application. 9lbs salt will give you 27k capacity and cycle every 7 days.
At 12 grains of hardness and 300 gallons per day usage, left untreated this family would experience 187 gallons (7000 grains = 1lb) of dissolved rock flowing through their home in 1 year. That is why it needs to be treated by softening.
RJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks