Water temp in Remodeled Bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

firepilot

Reaction score
Hi All,

Nearing completion of our bath remodel. Have the toilet working fine, One sink with vanity installed and a 50 gal tub.

I have a 75 Gal water heater on the far side of the house, but so far the water in the tub will only get warm.
If we run a bit of cold water it will get quite hot for a few seconds and then luke warm again.

I am using a Delta R-2700 rough in valve assemble. The new sink in the Vanity has the same issue.

Wife was pretty dishearten when she went to take her first bath.

Not sure which direction to go on this. I still have good access to all the plumbing for the mose part and can modify the system pretty easily.

The new bathroom is only about 6 -10 feet away from the old bathroom. However the original plumbing is 1/2 copper.

The new bath is Pex plumbing and I have probably added 50-60' of tubing to the system.

Not sure if a tankless system is an option, or some kind of loop of even a small water heater in the closet if I had to.

Any and all feedback is appreciated. The DWV system you all helped me install is working perfect.

Thanks

Phil

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The piping doesn't change the temperature.
What do you have coming out of the water heater? And do you have a tempering valve installed to that bathroom which may have lowered the temps?

The two handle Delta R-2700 just passes the water through. It shouldn't (can't) make a difference.

tempering_valve_tub.jpg

Last edited:

firepilot

Reaction score
The piping doesn't change the temperature.
What do you have coming out of the water heater? And do you have a tempering valve installed to that bathroom which may have lowered the temps?

The two handle Delta R-2700 just passes the water through. It shouldn't (can't) make a difference.

That's the thing I'm coming off the old existing pipe from the bathroom. Coming out of the water heater is 3/4 copper. It goes pretty far across the house I suspect to my daughters basement bath before going to 1/2. No tempering valves or anything that I can see. I picked up the lines under the floor of the old bathroom, and tied into them for the new bathroom.

I just have a couple of on off valves so I can isolate the new bathroom when I need to.

Just not sure why it is Luke warm. The delta R2700 for the tub valve flows 18 gpm but the sink flows just 1.5 gpm.

One thing that is odd to meet is if I turn the hot water off on either the tub or vanity for e few second, run the cold for 2-3 seconds then run the hot again it is very hot but then kind of tapers back to luke warm.

It certainly has me stumped and not just a bit frustrated.

Thanks

Phil

firepilot

Reaction score
When the cartridge is installed, the hot issue will be fixed. Right now it's crossing over there.

Thank you Terry

I will pull it out tonight and see. My wife was really looking forward to a bath! Shower won't be finished for another couple weekends.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Phil

firepilot

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

We are on line an the water is nice and toasty. Looks like a bath for my wife tonight. Now onto the shower. I put the valve in and all is well.

Phil

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks