Water tastes funny after tapping service line

Users who are viewing this thread

hughbiquitous

Reaction score
Last night I tapped into my HDPE service line to start an irrigation system.

The connection went like this:

1. HDPE service line from street
2. Flo-control adapter (HDPE to 1" spigot)
3. SCH40 1" coupling
4. 4-inch length of 1" SCH40 pipe
5. SCH40 tee -> off to backflow preventer and sprinkler
6. 4-inch length of 1" SCH40 pipe
7. SCH40 1" coupling
8. Flo-control adapter (1" spigot to HDPE)
9. HDPE service line to house

This morning the water tastes and smells funny - I recognize the smell; I think it's the PVC primer or cement.

Is that normal? Should it flush its way out, or do I need to do something different?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
IMO it's not normal, and I've done a lot of potable water line plumbing using sch 40 pvc and poly pipe. I can't recall the last time anyone had the problem. It should flush out, depending on how much cleaner/primer and cement was used. The thing is that I've not used those materials on chlorinated water; assuming you are on chlorinated water which may be chlormines instead of chlorine now.

But what is the "flow control adapter"? And why the couplings?

Gary
Quality Water Associates

hughbiquitous

Reaction score
Thanks Gary - yes, it's pretty much flushed out now. By last night it was fine; there was a little smell when I ran the water this morning but it disappeared quickly.

The flo-control thing (see http://www.flocontrol.com/compress.htm ) lets me connect to the HDPE lines. It's like a compression tee except on the HDPE side it has a smooth insert (not barbed) on the inner side and a metal ring with teeth and a gasket on the outer side. Is that clear as mud?

Initially I was just going to use a barbed insert tee and clamp it off but I couldn't find one that would fit the inner diameter - 1" barb was too big; 3/4" barb was too small...

Anyway, I didn't discover that until I cut into the line. I had to get water service restored, so I rigged something up until the plumbing supply store opened the next day. The guy showed me these flo-control gizmos and they work like a champ. Turns out that's what they used to connect the HDPE to the meter as well.

Why all the couplings, etc.? By the time I was done rigging up a temporary solution I had removed enough of the HDPE that I couldn't span the distance with a regular 1" SCH40 tee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks