Water table / pump question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My parents have a 200 foot well. When it was drilled it was over flowing with water. They installed 80’ of what looks to be 12†cast iron.

Two years ago I had to replace the pump. They had the pump sitting at 55’ and the water table had dropped and burnt out the pump. I replaced the pump, poly pipe, wirers, and re piped the top of the casing with PVC so it’s above the ground.

I reset the new pump at 90’ by advice of the pump driller that came out to help. He did a draw down test and the water only dropped about 3 feet. Last week I dropped a string down the well and the water was sitting at 70’.

I did run a string all the way down the well with a weight on it and I think it’s about 180’. I do plan on checking the water table next year.

Should I drop the pump down to about 120’?
I do know they make a run dry thing to keep them form burning out. But should I install one?

R

Rancher

For a 180' well, which it appears the 20' to 200' has silted in, I would set the pump at least at 160'. you don't use any more electricity to pump, and you gain the margin of water in that 12" (wow) well. If you want to save the pump next time, install a pumptec pump protector.

Rancher

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The pumptec pump protector is what I was looking for.

The water table is slowly dropping. Well I will get the stuff and next cool day I have off I’ll pull it and reset it at about 160’. I don’t see the well running dry anytime soon.

Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks