Water System Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
Hello There, I am having some trouble with my home water system and was hoping I could get some feedback.

I draw my water from a river cistern (about 300 ft from house). Gets pulled to the house by a ½ HP Jacuzzi pump (about 12 yrs old). From the pump it goes right into a brand new 50 gallon pressure tank (I check the pressure every month). From the pressure tank it goes through a peroxide treatment, then through a Culligan Cul Cleer filter (takes out the metals etc, relined about 4 years ago). From there it goes to a Water Softener and then out to the house.

Here are the issues I am having
1.I recently had a Culligan RO System installed and the RO filters clog within 4 months (supposed to last a year). PLUS I have a 9 gallon RO tank that only fills about 1/3 full at any given time. The Culligan guy said it was because there wasn’t enough pressure in the system (I wonder why they didn’t check that before they installed it?)

2.The water coming out of the rest of the house taps is sometimes cloudy depending on the turbidity of the river (I am guessing fine sediment)

3.I had a new pressure switch installed on the pump to take my pressure from 30/50 to 50/70. After installing it, the pressure is 40/60 at best. The plumber says I need to get a new pump now.

Questions

1.What would you recommend to deal with the sediment issue and where in the system would you put it?
2.Does what the plumber is telling me about having to replace the pump sound right and if so, what pump would you recommend.

Thanks you guys for all your help. For a person on my type of water system, this forum is a Godsend!

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
Sorry valveman - I was wrong it is a 3/4 jacuzzi jet pump (I fixed it above in my original post). But from what I read from you I should upsize. Is there a particular jet pump that you would recommend? Do you have any other thoughts on the other issues?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A submersible in the cistern would give you more pressure with less horse power. With a jet you just have to go bigger horse power to get more pressure. Look at the performance charts for the pumps to see what flow and pressure they will deliver.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I draw my water from a river cistern (about 300 ft from house). Gets pulled to the house by a 3/4 HP Jacuzzi pump (about 12 yrs old). From the pump it goes right into a brand new 50 gallon pressure tank (I check the pressure every month). From the pressure tank it goes through a peroxide treatment, then through a Culligan Cul Cleer filter (takes out the metals etc, relined about 4 years ago). From there it goes to a Water Softener and then out to the house.
You are pulling water 300', it must be downhill to the house or at least flat elevation wise.

Here are the issues I am having
1.I recently had a Culligan RO System installed and the RO filters clog within 4 months (supposed to last a year). PLUS I have a 9 gallon RO tank that only fills about 1/3 full at any given time. The Culligan guy said it was because there wasn’t enough pressure in the system (I wonder why they didn’t check that before they installed it?)

2.The water coming out of the rest of the house taps is sometimes cloudy depending on the turbidity of the river (I am guessing fine sediment)

3.I had a new pressure switch installed on the pump to take my pressure from 30/50 to 50/70. After installing it, the pressure is 40/60 at best. The plumber says I need to get a new pump now. Does what the plumber is telling me about having to replace the pump sound right and if so, what pump would you recommend.
Cartridge filters need to be replaced when they need to be, not on a timed basis. The RO pressure tank can not fill, it has a 'bladder' in it with air above the water to provide the pressure to move water to the faucet. So at best, you may have 1/4 to a 1/3 of its height with water in it.

You need to clean the bottom of the cistern of any dirt buildup. And the Culligan Cul Cleer filter may need to have the bed replaced again, or replaced with a mixed mineral bed with about 5 different types of mineral in it to provide clear water when the river goes muddy. If you haven't cleaned the cistern, that will build up 'dirt' on the bottom and that dirt will clog the Culligan filter and then the softener resin will load up with dirt, you'll lose capacity and dirt gets through it to the RO.

I agree with Valveman about the submersible in the cistern but that requires electric pump cable to the cistern. But I don't agree with the plumber that you need a new pump unless he proves what is wrong with before replacing it.. It could have a partially blocked jet or worn impeller and if the Culligan filter needs new mineral, that will cost lost pressure.

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
Hi Gary,
The Culligan guy came on Friday to look things over. He checked the cistern and recommended having it cleaned as well, which is what we are having done next weeek. The funny thing is, I had him go next door to my sisters house because she has a much less expensive water purifying system in it, and rarely has problems (they draw from the same cistern). He went over and looked at it (pump to pressure tank to cheap 25 micron to 10 micron to water softener to another 10 micron then through ultraviolet to the house. Sister also has a cheap Aquafina RO and changes the filters every year to year and a half. The Culligan guy asked to take samples of the RO and the tap water. He then tested them and both were significantly better than my water treated the way I have listed above. The Culligan guy was sure suprised.

In any case, they are now recommending me adding a 25 micron to 10 micron to 5 micron (all blue filters) after the water softener with pressure gauges after each to reduce the amount of sediment that gets to the RO system (Culligan 4 cartridge model), not sure if this makes sense.

The pump is another issue. At one point the plumber had the pressure on it up to 60 /80. About 6 months later I called him because I noticed the pressure was down. He said he needed to install a new pressure 60 / 80 pressure switch. I said ok, and then the most he could get out of it was 35 / 55. That is when he said the pump was pooched and I needed a new pump. I told him about checking the impeller, etc, but he said it was just pooched. So not sure what to do. If I buy a new jet pump, does the higher the horse power mean better pressure?

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
12 years old

How to install an ultraviolet light

[video=youtube;vatpBDkPtbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vatpBDkPtbc[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

geoffjgeorge

Reaction score
Technically it is a "cistern". A normal shore well around here is about 1000 gallons (a small cylinder). Mine is 2,500 gallons. This is how it was installed.

Crane digs out a deep hole along the river bank in front of our house. They then line the hole with special round river rocks. They then lift the shore cistern into the hole. They cover the exterior of the cistern with the same type of small round river rocks. They then cover those river rocks with filter cloth. Inside the cistern, around the bottom, about 1 ft from the bottom of the cistern are 8 4" diameter holes that the water seeps into the cistern from the river. This is my understanding of it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks