Water surging

Users who are viewing this thread

Toneal

Reaction score
I have a drilled well with a submerged pump. In the last couple of days my pump has been cutting on about every 5 seconds when the water is running. I tried adjusting the switch by tightening down on the adjustment nut but this did not help. I can hear water falling back down the pipe when the switch cuts off. Any ideas on what might be happening?

Thanks,

Tony

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You have a leak and the water falling back into the well is dropping the pressure fast enough to turn on the pump that fast. You need to call a plumber or well guy soon / quick and have him pull the pipe and see what / where the leak is.

Last edited:

Toneal

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response and help. I will call a plumber tomorrow.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
"In the last couple of days my pump has been cutting on about every 5 seconds when the water is running. "
"I can hear water falling back down the pipe when the switch cuts off. "

I am a little uncertain regarding the symptoms.

Cutting on about every 5 seconds (and presumably off also) when the water is running suggests a waterlogged tank, which might mean a failed bladder or a leak on the air side of the tank.

If there is a break in the pipe or a failed check valve at the pump, then I would expect the pressure to drop when the water is not running and the cycling would be continuous, whether running water or not.

On the other hand, if there is a check valve near the tank, between the pump and the pressure switch, then the pipe could be leaking water AND you could have a waterlogged tank.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
if you do have a leak in the drop pipe replace it. i recommend rigid pvc pipe in 20' lenghts. most people here would recommend poly pipe instead.

you should also have a check valve. you should have one about every 300'. it is your choice to add an extra one at the pump if you want. there is ussually one on the pump to start with.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
rshackleford said:
if you do have a leak in the drop pipe replace it. i recommend rigid pvc pipe in 20' lenghts. most people here would recommend poly pipe instead.

you should also have a check valve. you should have one about every 300'. it is your choice to add an extra one at the pump if you want. there is ussually one on the pump to start with.

Why PVC and not polly?

Would you solvent weld the peices together, how long B4 you hang the pipe after welding?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
On the few that I do every year I have always used 100 PSI 1" PE. The deepest well I have ever pulled is about 135'. Not fun. I'm not sure anyone around here carrys 160 or 200 in well pipe. Everyone has the 100.

Rshackleford

Reaction score
Website
www.agriindustries.com
pulling a pump on poly pipe is a lot of work. i find that i get tired pretty easy (i could be lazy!).

it is called rigid pvc and comes in 1" and 1 1/4" sizes. it is od driven pipe and accepts sw fittings. however it comes threaded with plastic couplings. we replace the plastic couplings with brass ones. it takes a derrick truck to set and pull, but to me that means less labor for me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks