Water supply upgrade questions

Users who are viewing this thread

IssuedSig

Reaction score
Hi Guys I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Terry you have a great forum and all you guys have great insight. I want to get your advice on upgrading my current water service and show you guys some pictures of a pretty bad homeowner job of re plumbing what was at one time a brass water service by someone who had no business buying copper pipe.

I have a 1 and a 1/2 bathroom home with a bathtub and stall shower, dishwasher, washing machine, three hose bibs. I've calculated 20.1 BFU's using the group numbers. My water service is 3/4 " copper necking down to 1/2" through a 5/8" meter (badger 25) the 1/2" supply and branches to all fixtures and hose bibs including the hot water heater.

Looking at the charts calculating about 60 feet of pipe accounting for rise and fitting loss I'm pushing the envelope for using 3/4" supply pipe. Ideally I'd like to go with 1" out of the meter to the hot water heater and one inch cold supply throughout the basement. Branch off to each fixture on the first floor with 1/2 " then run two 3/4 inch risers to the second floor. One dedicated to the stall shower and the other for the toilet, tub, sink group. Out of the hot water heater I'm planning on running 3/4" supply and 1/2 branches with two 3/4 " riser to the second floor bathroom. All of the hose bibs will be 3/4".

I might have an issue with the water service necking down to 1/2" before the meter and the tailpiece out of the meter. I'm not sure if the water company will have to change the meter out

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? I value your opinions.

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally the city side would be 3/4"
Changing the water service on the homeowner side to 1" would reduce friction loss.
It doesn't really take more labor to install 1" than it does 3/4", and the cost difference is minimal.
I have not plumbed in New York though. I've never seen a city side 1/2" supplying a meter.

My mothers home, still has a 5/8" meter from 1952.
The water service there was 250 feet of 3/4" copper for years. Not great pressure at the house. When we added irrigation to her 1 acre property, I replaced that with a 1-1/2" line. The irrigation wouldn't work on the 3/4" line, but works fine with the 1-1/2", even on the old 5/8" meter.
A larger water service line is noticeable.

IssuedSig

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!

At some point I need to upgrade the service to the street. The water company won't change out my meter unless I put a 1 1/4" service in. The elbow at the foundation wall reduces the service from 3/4" to 1/2" I can't wait to change that out. I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would neck down a 3/4" water service to 1/2".

So I take it you concur with my planned upgrade?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the Chicago area, during the 50s and 60s MANY meters were 5/8" with 1/2" ips tailpieces. The service lines were 3/4" lead pipe. He does have a 3/4" water service, although it is galvanized so it is probably rusted on the inside reducing its capacity greatly.

IssuedSig

Reaction score
I' pretty darn sure the service line is copper. Interestingly the brass tailpieces on the meter are hall marked FARNAN, from the Farnan Brass Works Co. Cleveland Ohio. I thought that was a neat piece of old plumbing history. I might keep them just because.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks